• Advertisement

MTD transaxle - Merged Topic

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

MTD transaxle - Merged Topic

Postby 38racing » Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:04 pm

I'm working on a single speed that won't stay in forward. I had it apart and could find no problem with the bevel gears or dog clutch or shifter fork. Reassembled and still the same problem. I'm wondering if the bevel gear needs shimmed back closer to the clutch. Looking at an old 95 mtd manual it says 'measure the backlash with the assembly upside down and the drive shaft in the upper housing. Separate the bevel gears and measure between the bevel gears and input shaft with a feeler gauge or dial indicator. the backlash should be between .006 and .015 and can be adjusted with combination of shim washers.' I think I understand that I'm to measure from the shaft side( (not the drive gear on the shaft) but I'm not clear on where to measure on the bevel gear that will be .006-.015 away from the shaft. Or am I supposed to measure space between engaging tooth of bevel gear to the tooth of drive gear.
update: looking on some youtube it seems mtd manual writer assumed the reader knows what to do
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: mtd transaxle backlash

Postby 38racing » Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:05 pm

lol how time flies and our memories lapse. I had a thread back in 2016 on clearances and stuff. I have to report that the rebuild back then was not a huge success. I was using the unit for winter snowblowing and it got so I couldn't shift gears. This fall I swapped it out for another used unit but actually only used twice because of lack of snow this past winter.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:11 pm

Backlash is the amount you can rotate to the input before gears stop it.Add shims or remove shims from of the bevel gear shaft. equal amount if possible to get to required amount. If you can see .006" movement you got better eyes than me.

As for jumping out gear that is usually worn clutch engage edges. Otherwords they are not engaging fully squared. Usually if slip out gear problem I just install a new drive shaft assembly.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:45 pm

Is yours like this? (see the link below)
Like KE4AVB indicates backlash is usually not the answer.

Closely inspect/compare the forward gear and shift dog. Pay attention to the forward gear and the end of the clutch dog for forward. Mark them BEFORE you lift them out so you know the orientation for comparison of the F/R en-gaugement ends. Usually you will find when comparing that the ends on the forward clutch dog and or the forward gear have worn surfaces like the video shows Also make sure all shims are in place so as the clutch dog gets fully en-gauged. The guy mentions such.
You probably know this but make sure that the brass bushing are properly installed so as they drop down fully into the housing. (they have a locating hole and pin to keep them from rotating.

Also while you have it apart check the outer AXLE bushings. They are usually worn out.
The inner axle bushing are the same type and are usually ok. The outer BUSHINGS wear out due to poor design, lack of lube and dirt. They can be found at a reasonable price.

If your is like this one if you pay attention sometimes you can just flip the complete forward/reverse axle with the gears and the reverse side will pull ok forward but you have to hold it in reverse when backing up. This make the reverse gear and clutch dog the forward gears.

I've taken as many as 3-4 of those just to make one good one.
The you tube guy has a good tip about the grease. I usually just wipe out some of the worthless red clay grease (no need in trying to make a silk purse out of a sours ear so as to make it look pretty) and use EP#2 and add little bit of 90-140 oil in the center section. I also pay attention the to shifter shaft's forward groove for the poppet ball. If the edge or the forward groove is worn off it won't hold as well.
Also pay attention to the shims the guy mentions on the outer side of the forward/reverse gears. Too much end play slack of the F/R gears and the clutch dog will not hold as good.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... tion=click
Arkie
Forum Pro

Mtd transaxle again

Postby 38racing » Sun Aug 11, 2024 6:54 pm

I've got it apart again. Struggling to see why forward is slipping. I found ipl info on partstree. For the shim washers for top of drive shaft it has 3 thicknesses to achieve .0150/.0020 end play. I'm thinking that should read .0150/.0200 . I assumed practice was to put lowest clearance first.
38racing
Forum Pro

Re: Mtd transaxle again

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 11, 2024 7:44 pm

38, Could you PM me a link to the transaxle manual you are referring to. All I have is a 700 series version on file here.

I got the pinion end play at .010-.015"
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: Mtd transaxle again

Postby 38racing » Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:48 am

KE4AVB wrote:38, Could you PM me a link to the transaxle manual you are referring to. All I have is a 700 series version on file here.

I got the pinion end play at .010-.015"

Wasn't actually a manual. It's a note on partstree ipl. Maybe I have a manual saying same thing. Looking again the washer is used on both vertical input shaft and horizontal driveshaft although on horizontal washer would adjusting the bevel gear backlash
38racing
Forum Pro

Re: MTD transaxle - Merged Topic

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:56 am

There is one other possible problem I just thought of that could causing not to stay in gear. How is the shift fork detents. I have seen them worn where there was no shoulder to keep the ball detented. Or the spring may be bad or missing.

Also you can download the MTD 700 Series Riders Shop Manual from the MTD directory. It has the best info on these single speed transaxle that I have found.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:53 pm

KE4AVB

That is good info about the MTD service directory.
I struggled to finally get a look see download, site not secure etc, when using mtd.com

Some good MTD service info at the links below
Here is couple links using microsoft edge that gets a look at the two speed transaxle/shims, poppett balls, etc. This is not the MTD site, I quit looking when I seen this

MTD 700 SERIES PROFESSIONAL SHOP MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib
See pg 4 then 62 onthrough the 70’s for Bench testing data.

For example
MTD 700 Series Professional Shop Manual (Page 75 of 186) | ManualsLib

Here is a google chrome link that will get you to page 1 at the top of the page and scroll down for several other MTD model selections

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/69953 ... tml#manual
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:25 pm

I was referring my Google drive directory which shows as a secure site.

If those directories are not secured then I pull everyone of them.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum