• Advertisement

Cub Cadet 0-turn slow crank

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Cub Cadet 0-turn slow crank

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 05, 2017 8:00 am

Sam, It sounds you may have worn out camshaft or a possible failed ACR. Check the valve lifts and if you have the ACR bump. The cylinder balance test results are off by more 20% indicating there is problem that area which can a simple valve adjustment, worn camshaft, or a worn cylinder. With the ACR present it should be around 65-95 psi at cranking speed and should within 20% of lowest cylinder compression. IE: Cylinder #1 65 psi Cylinder #2 78 psi.

Also when you get this engine could please either post the starter amp draw here or via a PM to me. I haven't check this here for I just got a 400 amp clamp to do this but will the next time 651 comes in but I do know the over 200 amps is at least not the normal amount. Most the engines I work draw around 75-100 amps starting when they are working right. I don't anyone here has even to check known working engine current draw as base reference line. This something I am now doing for myself as I running into several starting related problems and would know what the baselines are.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri May 05, 2017 2:24 pm

KE4AVB:

You may know this about some 400 amp digital amp clamps.

If you are ever checking anything and the load amps happens to go above 400 amps, some clamp on digitals readouts will revert back to a low reading with no indication of a error reading or a over scale reading and if the starter on a big High capacity CCA battery system is dragging or locked and you are unaware you are in close proximity to a possible battery explosion while trying to read your meter. (you are fiddling with your auto ranging digital clamp on wondering what the heck and the amps draw is more than the 400 amps DC auto scale readout and the meter is erratic)

It can happen easily on the big CCA battery crank systems, etc.

Keep a heads up about such to stay safe
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 05, 2017 3:56 pm

Arkie, I not planning on using it the autos here so I should be in the safe range but I do have an 800 CCA amp battery in my P/U. I can't start even start it with the 500 CCA Wal-mart tried selling me.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby samcarpen » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Sorry to take so long to reply. Turned out it was a simple valve adjustment. 2 weeks later I had to return and replace the starter. Next time I service this machine I'll recheck the starter amp draw and post the results.
Thanks again,
Sam
samcarpen

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum