• Advertisement

Briggs 8hp hard to crank over manually, ok electrically.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs 8hp hard to crank over manually, ok electrically.

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:51 am

With the addition that the starter is actually having problems getting pass the TDC compression stroke at times I would say it is a compression relief problem. Plus considering it is a '71 model I say it is likely a worn camshaft then.

In order to replace the cam it would take one from a donor engine since Briggs no longer produces this camshaft. 211689 > 691167 > NLA

You ask if possible to add a decompression valve. I have never seen one done on these engines before but it might be possible. It would require modifying the head to where a decomp valve could be installed. Just don't what the maximum compression one of those valve from a chainsaw can handle. I do know some of them are exposed to around 150 psi. It would be interesting experiment.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:06 am

You ask if possible to add a decompression valve.

I briefly searched around about such online and did not find where anyone had tried a add on compression relief valve to a 4 cycle engine head.

Was surprised that a redneck had not done a you tube about such. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:56 pm

KE4AVB wrote:With the addition that the starter is actually having problems getting pass the TDC compression stroke at times I would say it is a compression relief problem. Plus considering it is a '71 model I say it is likely a worn camshaft then.

In order to replace the cam it would take one from a donor engine since Briggs no longer produces this camshaft. 211689 > 691167 > NLA

You ask if possible to add a decompression valve. I have never seen one done on these engines before but it might be possible. It would require modifying the head to where a decomp valve could be installed. Just don't what the maximum compression one of those valve from a chainsaw can handle. I do know some of them are exposed to around 150 psi. It would be interesting experiment.

Redneck test: (and fix)
I got some time to make a redneck test install of de-compression release of the 8HP Briggs.
I installed a de-cpmpression valve into the head of the old 8 HP Briggs that parts are NLA due to age and it works great. (easy crank and start) I had to carefully select a place in the raised part of the head by the valves, spark plug area.

I used this one for chainsaws from Flea bay.

M10x1.0 Easysaw Decompression Valve For Husqvarna or Stihl fits most models
Arkie
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum