• Advertisement

Ariens SnowBlower Governor / Throttle

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Ariens SnowBlower Governor / Throttle

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:54 pm

Yes it would have a Tecumseh HMSK80 unless it has one of the optional engines but the model indicates 8 HP with a 24" wide augur head
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:55 pm

Would a lean mixture likely be the cause of this type of behavior?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:46 pm

Lefty, Have you verified that the governor is working? Try disconnecting the governor spring to see if it will go to idle on its on. If it does the governor is working although there still might be a problem with the governor hanging when the governor spring is installed or it might just need a static governor adjustment. Anyway the governor should be pushing the throttle to idle unless it is hanging or out of adjustment.

I don't think it is a lean burn issue.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:00 pm

There's a choice of holes on the throttle lever for the rod . manual shows top front for hmsk80.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:05 pm

lefty wrote:That's the idle from the side of the carb body.

I went through the carb again for a second cleaning and to investigate the components that BG suggested. I gave it another try and am having the same results, which I guess would be expected at this point. A couple of things I noticed.

Even if I put it to about 1/2-3/4 throttle, it will run there at about 2800-3000 RPM for about 10 to 15 seconds and then run away from me, upwards to 3700 before I throttle back down to idle. I also noticed that I don't see the governor arm trying to fight back at all. Could there be something wrong with the governor internally?

I suggest as someone else did that you do a static adjustment and double check that governor spring is correctly set up.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:36 pm

Will do. The governor spring appears to be installed properly but I will disassemble tomorrow and do a static adjustment. It's one of those with the long wire spring wrapped around the throttle handle that you adjust with the screw. The engine does drop down to idle when you throttle down and remove tension from the spring. The owner did do a carb cleaning before giving it to me. He says he didn't touch the governor but maybe it slipped and he didn't notice. All of the linkage appears to be set up properly. Too cold in the garage to work on it now so I'll report back tomorrow. Thanks to all.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:26 am

I have seen where the governor do get out adjustment when a carb is removed besides things do wear. I got a few Kohler Courages that I got to put about .010 feeler gauge at the high stop to get the governors to work correctly or the engines surges off load due to play in the governor assemblies.

Can understand the weather problem. We are here having yo-yo weather. One day it is 70 and the next day the highs only make it to the mid 30's. Very hard to get use to. I am in the house now and I shivering. Monday I got to it snowing and Wednesday it was nearly 60 again. Looking at the forecast looks I will be fighting the rain the next week but at least the high temps will be in the 50's. We done had temps that we don't normally see until late January.

And with it in the 30's I can't safely work with plastics either even though they are ABS because the amount flexing I got to do to remove and install them. Trying to get 3 ATVs out of the shop but having to wait to warmer temps to reinstall carburetors and body panels.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:12 pm

Thanks, guys. Adjusting the governor did the trick. I can get it to hold steady now at about 3580 ish. Starts first pull and runs perfectly.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:17 pm

Another issue I've run into with this one is it appears that the drive idler pulley is a little cattywompus. I'm thinking maybe the bracket is bent? It seems to interfere a bit with the auger belt tensioning pulley preventing it from applying the proper tension. The drive belt is not falling off but it doesn't look right. Is this a common thing? I added a link to the photo on google images.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CLXHqB6it6EA2A2X6
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:01 pm

To me there is definitely a problem with the pulley next to the engine and even the other is off some too. I would be checking the pulley and pivot points. Of course it can be a bent arm.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum