• Advertisement

Tecumseh L-Head question

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Tecumseh L-Head question

Postby creia » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:29 pm

UPDATE:
I finally had the opportunity to get back to work on this. I popped off both welch plugs and, probed all passageways and did (another) thorough cleaning in the ultrasonic.- Same results with the starting and low and high settings as my original post. Once it has started and warmed up the engine idles and runs very good. Should I still be concerned for any reason? My feeling is to let it go and move on to the next project...
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:00 pm

The only 2 things that still kind of bother me about this carb are:
1. ON a "cold" start it will always take 4-5 pulls to get it to fire. :o
2. If you try a "warm" start after it has been shut off more than a few minutes you will always have to choke it. :o
Please keep in mind that this is in California on a 70 degree day! The above are very atypical on every other small engine carb (properly tuned/adjusted) I have ever owned. :roll:
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:02 pm

As part of the rebuild process on this engine I had to set the timing, which I "think" I did properly. :? If the timing is off (even just slightly) could it be causing the symptoms I have previously described? Would the engine run as good as it does (once it iswarmed up) now if the timing was slightly off? :?
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:18 pm

Unlikely ,I think your engine / carb is just slightly lean or perhaps just a little bit "just this side of worn out" , although timing off by a degree or two can affect start-up performance, but not a whole lot (if your cranking speed seems to make any difference, it might be a bit off, but if crank speed doesnt seem to affect things, more likely just a tad lean in the carb.)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:01 pm

bgsengine wrote:Unlikely ,I think your engine / carb is just slightly lean or perhaps just a little bit "just this side of worn out" , although timing off by a degree or two can affect start-up performance, but not a whole lot (if your cranking speed seems to make any difference, it might be a bit off, but if crank speed doesnt seem to affect things, more likely just a tad lean in the carb.)

Thank you Brian,
I found another Tecumseh HS-40 in my inventory with the same diaphragm carb that DOES perform as it should as far as number of pulls to get it to fire and the low and high speed screw settings. I am going to install it on this restored HS-40 with the "funky" carb and see how that carb performs on this engine.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum