• Advertisement

Tecumseh Surging problem

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Tecumseh Surging problem

Postby lefty » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:44 pm

I still have to check for an air leak. I figured I'd check the valves while it's apart already.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:47 pm

Skywatcher wrote:Hi Again Lefty

The date code says the engine was the 72nd engine built on the 263rd day of 2006 (September 20th). With the engine being built that late in the year, the machine itself was probably sold a a 2007. The machines I ran into would have been the same sort of vintage. The valve faces and seats showed almost no wear, so I'm convinced the valves were never set properly in the factory. Once I'd ground the valve stems shorter to get the correct clearances, the customer said the engine had never started that easily right from new.

Generally snow blowers never see many hours of use and the electric start tends to hide hard starting problems caused by improperly set valves. Check the valve clearances before taking anything apart, let us know what you find and we'll go from there,

Sky

Wouldn't you know it...it worked. I shaved them down and lapped them in. Spoke the owner subsequently and they disclosed that it never really ran right. I also didn't see much wear...or anything that looked like wear to my virgin eyes. Thanks for the help.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:44 am

Hi Once Again Lefty

Glad we were able to help you get this one sorted out. In my 37 years of mechanicing I have learned a couple of basic facts.

One: 85% of mechanicing is diagnostics, the other 15% is actually fixing.
Two: 90% of all mechanical problems are usually something simple.

Take care, stay safe and have yourself a great Christmas,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby lefty » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:22 pm

You as well. Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum