• Advertisement

Briggs backfire through intake

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs backfire through intake

Postby RMR » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:19 pm

Sorry guys! I don't know what happened. I thought I posted a reply a couple weeks ago. I'll try again.

Unfortunately I was never able to nail down the exact issue.

I took the 2nd carb back off to get those pics requested in comparing the OEM to the Chinese carb. Took the pics and thought what the heck, I'll put the rebuilt OEM back on it. Going back, if you remember before, the rebuild OEM offered no change in condition. And the reason why I threw on a aftermarket as an attempt to determine if it was indeed a carburetor problem.

Anyway, I reinstalled the rebuilt OEM and it fired up and ran great. :roll:

Great that I was able to get that thing out the door, but frustrating that it didn't leave giving me a solid diagnosis that I could store in the memory bank for later.

The absolute ONLY thing I came up with is that MAYBE due the horrible design of the Nikki bowl gasket, it didn't seat correctly when I rebuilt it, but was corrected when I took it back apart for the pics.......
RMR
Forum Regular

Re: Briggs backfire through intake

Postby Arkie » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:48 pm

I've felt your pain with the Nikki's.
I've seen them produce the spit back that you indicate, had a Briggs Intek with a OEM Nikki that was hunting and surging really bad, replaced it with a Nikki cheap less that $20 clone and got into the spitting. Went back to the Oem carb took it and the clone apart and compared parts and installed most of the clone o rings, emulsion plastic assembly and gasket parts into the OEM and surprise, got a good run using the clone parts in the OEM Nikki.

The spitting with the clone acted like valve issues but was carb issues. I knew this because the OEM carb did not spit back, just hunted and surged.

Nikki's I suspect is kin to Murphy will play with your brain.
For the Single cylinder Briggs engines I keep couple of the old Warlbro's around just as a sub test in place of the Nikki. I can usually repair a Nikki NOW DAYS if I know for sure it's actually the carb that is the issue. (and usually carefully inspecting replacing gaskets and o-rings. I have to carefully inspect the new stuff going into a Nikki, have seen some of the rings not correct or a slight flaw that would cause it to not seal good)

Thanks for the comeback.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum