• Advertisement

No fire poulan chainsaw

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: No fire poulan chainsaw

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:14 am

That HL 200 (Super 2) is a great little pruning saw. I got a couple versions here. One is the Magnesium case and the other is plastic case. Being a top handle saw is what makes easier to while on the ladder pruning fruit trees here that way you can have other hand holding on to a stable limb.

On that Dolmar try pulling the muffler as it has a spark arrester that might be clogged
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:24 am

KE4AVB wrote:That HL 200 (Super 2) is a great little pruning saw. I got a couple versions here. One is the Magnesium case and the other is plastic case. Being a top handle saw is what makes easier to while on the ladder pruning fruit trees here that way you can have other hand holding on to a stable limb.

On that Dolmar try pulling the muffler as it has a spark arrester that might be clogged

Actually I pulled the muffler to look at the piston. It has slight scoring right near the top. That's why I checked compression. I even sprayed the carb cleaner into exhaust port to try and get a fire from it. I tested for spark with an inline and grounding removed plug.
On the homelite 200 I did a parts lookup and virtually everything is NLA.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:43 am

38racing wrote:On the homelite 200 I did a parts lookup and virtually everything is NLA.

Yelp, That is why I had such a hard time finding a oil pump diaphragm for one last year. When I got the NOS one it was in a John Deere Package.

Those were manufactured when John Deere owned the Homelite chainsaw line and was quite a while ago.

On that Dolmar with that scoring at the top it might be losing enough compression right the top of stroke to cause it not to fire. Just thinking out loud. A compression tester won't show this as they just show the amount of compression during the stroke. If the compression right at the end the Schrader valve just closes at whatever was the last max pressure.

Something else that could cause it would be a sheared flywheel key though I yet to see a chainsaw with one sheared. This throw the timing off enough to have it firing at the wrong time.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:36 pm

well this poulan had 125 psi so I put a new plug in it and it fired on carb cleaner. Put gas in it . Got it to prime and start. Wouldn't idle so I started adjusting low speed. got it to stay running but unfortunately it goes to high rpm so another air leak problem I guess.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:43 am

Would not hurt to check carb's metering diaphragm and lever. Both cause lean out at idle. Then look for air leaks like crank seals.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum