• Advertisement

Craftsman Lawn Vacuum

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Craftsman Lawn Vacuum

Postby lefty » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:28 pm

Will do. I'll have to find a flat surface. I don't have any glass thick enough.

May be too far gone though. I can get a .010 gauge in there across the short side on the valve end. So it's kind of cupped in the middle.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:42 pm

So I'm moving along on this and everything is going well. Per BG's recommendations, I got myself a piece of glass and sanded the head down. I'm super pleased with the results as it's almost perfect in flatness. I was turning the engine by hand and noticed oil / air pissing out around the round breather on the top. I'd like to take that off maybe and inspect it to see what's up. Is it normal for a little oil to come out around that round part at the top? Also, what's the proper way to remove that without f'ing it up to give it a quick look? Thanks very much.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:01 pm

lefty wrote:So I'm moving along on this and everything is going well. Per BG's recommendations, I got myself a piece of glass and sanded the head down. I'm super pleased with the results as it's almost perfect in flatness. I was turning the engine by hand and noticed oil / air pissing out around the round breather on the top.
and that's after sitting quite a while sitting level? and oil level is correct?
I'd like to take that off maybe and inspect it to see what's up. Is it normal for a little oil to come out around that round part at the top?
not really no..
Also, what's the proper way to remove that without f'ing it up to give it a quick look? Thanks very much.
To remove breather you pop the flywheel off, then you pry out the rubber breather hose (it's a sort of snap-in fit) - new hose would be soft pliable rubber, old hose may feel almost like hard plastic (and may have to destroy it to remove, but whole new complete breather assembly part number 37247 should be around 11 bucks USD or so, so I'd say if you have any doubts to the breather, why not just replace it? ) - Note the oil level , if does not have a dipstick , should only be to the overflow level of the sump. (imagine engine apart and sump only sitting level, oil fill level is just to the point of the gasket surface, usually - about 20 ounces) overfill on oil can push oil into breather.. You can see engine parts list right here and breather kit item # 7 - https://www.partstree.com/models/143-01 ... lev-pg1-0/
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:58 pm

It has a dipstick. When it came in, it was very low and black. Frankly, I'm surprised the cylinder was in such good shape given the maintenance on this thing.

Armed with the knowledge you just gave me, I took that breather off and cleaned up the mating surface. There was a lot of oil in there. I think that was where the oil was spitting from as it doesn't do it now. But there is still a lot of play between the case and breather assembly. So I'll replace that. I'm sure the new one will fit a lot tighter.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:33 am

Looking to clean up these head bolts and holes because they're pretty rough. I'm figuring these are 5/16 - 18 bolts but wanted to see if anyone knows for sure before I go at them with my tap. A couple are pretty rough. Part num for the bolt is 6021A from what I can see.

I think they torque to 200 in/lbs?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:37 pm

Yep 200 In Lbs outta do it and yes they are 5/16-18 thread
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:18 pm

Thank you Sir.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:50 am

The new breather arrived today and it came disassembled, giving me a good look at how it works as I've never replaced one. It looks exactly the same as the one that I'm replacing but I'm just curious.. The new one has like a plastic mesh inside. The old one, which I have not disassembled, makes a rattling sound when I shake it. Are these too different mechanisms? It certainly does sound like the same stuff is inside.

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:22 pm

I got the balls to rip the old one open and found that the plastic foam piece had completely disintegrated. So the new one is a good idea.

I noticed that there was what looks like a washer at the top with holes in it, which was what was rattling around. The new one doesn't have this. Is this a necessary part? Should I put this washer into the new breather?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:27 pm

So if my logic is right, the washer sits on the little ledge about 1/2 way up the cylinder. The foam element then sits on top of the washer creating a little cavity at the bottom. Do I have this right?
Does anyone know if this washer is supposed to come with the new breather? Should I be mentioning something to the merchant I got this from? If it is required, the one out of the old breather looks fine enough to use.

Thank you for letting me think out loud and protecting me from myself.
lefty
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum