• Advertisement

Craftsman Tractor Ignition

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Craftsman Tractor Ignition

Postby lefty » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:08 pm

New switch solved the ignition problem, by the way. Must have been bad contact between the plug and the switch. Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:20 pm

Fiddling with that idle speed screw seems to have alleviated my surging problem. So all I'm left with is this choke issue. Choke doesn't disengage automatically. It runs perfectly if I manually close the choke with my finger, start and then release. But if I put the throttle lever all the way up, it sends the choke lever to a point that causes it to stick and then not release automatically. Could it be as simple as an adjustment to the cable?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:06 pm

Choke link is the kind with a J- shape hook into the choke lever on carb and other end long U-shape like a paper clip that slips between the guides on throttle control assembly? First make sure it is hooked the right way so that the bend in the linkage results in the U-slide running straight and level through , and then the paddle that contacts choke can be adjusted (and/or a simple choke/throttle cable adjust, but I'd bend paddle back instead so as to just close the choke when the control is as far as it will go into choke, THEN adjust the throttle cable with dash throttle lever in the top no load detent (little notch where it kinda "sticks" before going into choke position), and the choke actuator paddle *JUST* putting tension on the choke link.. from there, moving dash throttle lever to choke position should just about fully close the choke in carb, and it should return back when dash lever returned to to no load detent.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:38 pm

Super helpful. Thank you. It's running great now.
lefty
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum