• Advertisement

Diagnosing champion generator.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Diagnosing champion generator.

Postby Arkie » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:02 am

Here is a link where a guy is having similar issues with the same model gen.
It mentions what the resistance of the rotor should be, slip ring to slip ring as 55 ohms.
AND other tips.

I searched for a SERVICE manual online and came up short.
I thought maybe Clymer might have such but came up with a dry well.

You mention 500 ohms as the rotor resistance. (make sure you are actually reading your ohmmeter correctly) Should be 45-55 ohms maybe. If it is 500 ohms might be time to throw in the towel. :( :(
If you are seeing 500 look for a bad connection maybe at the slip ring. (this will be the only place you might be able to see each end of the rotor winding connection)
I would suspect you have a bad stator or rotor with a low resistance instead of high.
He also indicates what the voltage should be when 12DC is applied to the brushes and the gen normally has 115v DC to the brushes when normal for 120vAC at the receptacle.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electrica ... 38698.html
Last edited by Arkie on Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:54 am

Also in the Briggs downloads Files 22, 23, 33 do have a lot info that should be useful too. File 33 actually have list of resistances for the Briggs generator that should be similar to this unit's alternator.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 38racing » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:09 pm

SUKI wrote:Also in the Briggs downloads Files 22, 23, 33 do have a lot info that should be useful too. File 33 actually have list of resistances for the Briggs generator that should be similar to this unit's alternator.

Thanks. I'll check that out. Been hoping to find a document or video that just explains how these work. Even the James videos seem to assume viewer knows stuff like when he talks about dpe, whatever that is.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:07 pm

Just curious if your slip ring to slip ring was actually 500 ohms resistance instead of 50??
If it 500 ohms it's bad.

You also need to check a slip ring to ground or to the center shaft.
Should be infinity or several meg ohms. (no ground ohms at all)

You mentioned figuring out how that rig gens electric.

I think maybe Briggs has a gen manual that has the theory at the very front of their generator.
Do not remember the exact number of the manual but it a service manual about Briggs gens.
Being Briggs manual if you can ID it, it's probably available for a free download.
Maybe another member knows a link for such.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:51 pm

Arkie. If read SUKI's post she did post where to find it on this forum. There is actually three related files. The theory presented in these manuals can be applied to all portable generator except the inverter versions.

In Briggs files I have them listed by file number and the Briggs PN.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:50 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Arkie. If read SUKI's post she did post where to find it on this forum. There is actually three related files. The theory presented in these manuals can be applied to all portable generator except the inverter versions.

In Briggs files I have them listed by file number and the Briggs PN.

Thanks for the info.

Did not know it was here. :bricks:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:11 pm

I've been detoured a bit. Going to do some tests from that Briggs article and generator guru. Also found some wiring pics for a couple champion units to look at. Did make an attempt at removing brushes but wires are in the way so I reconnected them and reinstalled some test leads and now have an ohms reading of 64. Other thing I'm going to look for when I check the champion wiring is wire colours. The connector to the avr can only fit one way. Puzzled that brown/blue go to yellow/yellow and yellow/yellow go to blue/blue or something like that. Just remember that yellow pairs don't line up.
Oops: i never it submit on this post. Since then did look at a wiring pic and that connection of mixed colours is correct. Interesting is some champion model manuals show wiring but haven't found yet for 46535.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:29 pm

Somehow I missed it. The wiring is in the op manual I downloaded. Don't know I missed it. On a lark I downloaded the french version and found it. Went back to english and there it was.

update: I am not going crazy. The first op manual I found was a combination english and french and did not have the wiring picture. I got it as c46535. By entering 46535 I got 2 separate french and english options.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:56 pm

Looks like I'll shelve this project for now. After reading the suggested material and running a test based generator guru the rotor (or maybe just brushes?) are an issue. With avr detached I ran 12v to brushes. Got nothing. The generator guru test says with avr detached and engine running there should be 5 to max 10 volts ac across the brushes. Any higher than 10 is bad brushes or rotor. I got 47. One video I watched found the rotor is to be bad wire connection to the slip ring. During winter maybe I can pull it apart and see the problem.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:56 am

Winter cant cant be to far away as it was 50F here this morning last week we were seeing 75+F in the mornings. I actually looking for one my sweaters this morning as for such a sudden drop in temps.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum