• Advertisement

Craftsman Lawn Vacuum

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Craftsman Lawn Vacuum

Postby bgsengine » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:47 pm

nah its a design change. washer not needed in new one.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:57 pm

Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:04 pm

This one is all back together or running well. Thanks to all for the help. Unfortunately, the breather was not an exact match. The tube portion was about 1/4 inch shorter than the original and didn't quite connect to the airbox. I had to use the rubber tube portion from the original. Which is annoying as it was $18. Which means I paid $18 for a plastic cup and plastic foamy thing.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:52 pm

Do we know what this should be running for RPM? I always have trouble with these types of engines where it's a Tecumseh but with a craftsman number. I can find everyone but the one I have in the cross-reference documentation.

Right now, it's kind of hunting between 2800 and 2922 RPM. Choking bogs it down so I think I may be running rich. I cleaned the carb pretty good and installed a new air filter. It's one of those filters that you have to oil, which I did. I was sure to squeeze the filter until no more oil was coming out and installed it after about a day. But if I am rich, that's the only thing I can think of that would be causing a shortage of air. No adjustment on the carb as far as I can see. Any thoughts?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:12 pm

Well, I had this backward. After another go at the carb, it will run best on partial choke. So I'm either still clogged somewhere on my carb or I'm sucking air. Bowl nut holes are clean, I cleaned the pilot jet and every other or face. I did not, however, remove the plastic main nozzle. Maybe that's where the problem is? I should probably just pull the trigger on the $12 aftermarket but I wanted to fix this one.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:45 pm

what about float level? If float is too low, there's not enough fuel to provide proper fuel flow through carb. I forget the exact spec for float height but should be a bit "low" (when holding carb with float up) from level.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:23 pm

With the carb held upside down (float up) the float was tilted slightly downward away from the hinge pin.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:41 pm

The float spec is 11/64" (4.36 mm) across the top of the carburetor casting on the opposite side and parallel to the float hinge pin. Can use a 11/64 drill bit for this measurement. Float must just touch the tool.

If remove the plastic nozzle then you probably will need the o-rings.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:40 pm

That was more difficult than it sounded but I got it done. Don't need to bend that much to get it to move. I'll put it back on and fire her up again in the morning. Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:34 am

I think we're good on this one. I fired her up and although it took a little time to warm up, after about 45 seconds, it was running smoothe at about 3250 rpm.

For some reason, 3200 is in my head and I may be a little high at 3250? Should I adjust that?
lefty
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum