• Advertisement

John Deere mower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: John Deere mower

Postby jerkputter123 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:32 pm

KE4AVB wrote:As Sky said we all do make rookie mistakes, mostly from distractions but can be otherwise too.

Sky I can do one worst. I was changing the oil on a Mack semi tractor when as I was putting in the drain plug I had driver come in and distracted me. I fail a normal step of torquing the plug. The dang torque wrench was just laying there as usual. Later the driver took it out and after about 30 minutes the drain plug worked its way out. Draining out all 38 quarts. The driver was partially at fault too for the locked engine as ignored the loud buzzer and the bright dash light warning of loss of engine oil pressure. He ran it until the engine locked up. I got all the blame and I agreed that I must have missed a routine step.

I still think if the driver paid attention too it would not been all that bad. Probably all we would had needed to do was replace the plug and oil but keep driving it until it locked up.

Anyways it was an avoidable mistake only if I had double checked my work on the oil change. I lost my job over it.

Every since I double and triple things especially if I question if I remember doing something or not. Most times I have done what I don't remember clearly doing but it is usually because I had a customer to show up or call.

People that come into my shop has messed me more than once. I no longer do mechanic work for a living but when I did I could write a book on things that happened to me over the years. I have drove back to my shop more than once to make sure I put the fill plug back in after repairing a truck transmission or rear end. :D
I can assure everyone that as we age we tend to make more mistakes . At 73 I can tell anyway. If I was a football running back I would have lost my starting position long time ago but I now fumble a lot :roll: :roll:
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:15 am

Update from almost two years ago.
Yesterday my cousin calls me and mentioned that this mower will backfire once in a while when he starts hit. He has put about 100 hours on it since the ACR failed.
Is this a sign the ACR has failed again ? Only thing he has done to it since the last work other than service it was delete the solenoid on bottom of carburetor but that was last year.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:29 am

I had seen engine pop the exhaust at startup but never seen problem caused by it.

Now with your saying backfire you need to verify that it is an actual backfire thru the carburetor and not the exhaust.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:36 am

KE4AVB wrote:I had seen engine pop the exhaust at startup but never seen problem caused by it.

Now with your saying backfire you need to verify that it is an actual backfire thru the carburetor and not the exhaust.

Exhaust. Don't do it every time but it does so it. Just started a few days ago. Runs great otherwise
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby Arkie » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:25 pm

Thanks for the comeback to your old post: I recently had a 33 series come to me with failed ACR and the engine would start up ok cold then not run smooth when hot. Someone had set the intake valve lash to very minimum trying to get by or hide the issue. I quit operating the clean looking engine after I realized it has parts of the ACR floating around inside. (and $100 in parts might get another failure and don't really need the engine nor the tractor so all is a donor right now. Briggs parts indicated that parts not available until maybe Nov. 2022 also.
Here is the link to my post about such:
http://ppeten.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3942

You say THE ONLY THING HE DONE WAS he done away with the anti backfire solenois on the bottom of the carb
and now every once in awile it will back fire out the exhaust.
Appears that he created the backfire issue.
IMHO:
I would think about getting the anti backfire solenoid due to the following rumor. Might just be a rumor but since the ACR has a high failure rate on those engines anyway I would fix the anti back fire solenoid to reduce that chance. I would even try not to sneeze when around them type fragile Briggs engines, especially when it running after I had make ACR camshaft replacement) ;) :bricks:

ALSO while we are ON THE SUBJECT OF BRIGGS 31, 33 SERIES acr FAILURES I've heard a rumor that if the engine happens to slightly spin backwards (kickback) when letting off the key when cranking that the wimpy ACR is more likely to be damaged.
Has anyone heard this rumor or know if the centrifugal operated ACR would be more likely to be damaged due to kickback????
Last edited by Arkie on Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:43 pm

I do know the ACR is loose as it wobbles back and forth during starting and can if loose enough to be constantly being hit by the tappet while the engine is running working the pin until it breaks.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:31 pm

I got a 2011 JD D110 myself with the 19.5 Briggs engine. It also has the ACR but never give any problems. I got 300 hours on it and when it hit 200 I checked the valves and they didn't ever need adjusting. Still got my backfire valve also.
Now if I could roll back those 11 years I sure wouldn't buy anything with those engines in it but so far so good with me. I hate to post that because it will probably break tomorrow lol
I thought the backfire valve was put there to keep it from backfiring when you turned the engine off, not starting it.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby 38racing » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:02 am

jerkputter123 wrote:I got a 2011 JD D110 myself with the 19.5 Briggs engine. It also has the ACR but never give any problems. I got 300 hours on it and when it hit 200 I checked the valves and they didn't ever need adjusting. Still got my backfire valve also.
Now if I could roll back those 11 years I sure wouldn't buy anything with those engines in it but so far so good with me. I hate to post that because it will probably break tomorrow lol
I thought the backfire valve was put there to keep it from backfiring when you turned the engine off, not starting it.

my neighbour has a newer deere . it's acr just went at 330 hours.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:29 pm

38racing wrote:
jerkputter123 wrote:I got a 2011 JD D110 myself with the 19.5 Briggs engine. It also has the ACR but never give any problems. I got 300 hours on it and when it hit 200 I checked the valves and they didn't ever need adjusting. Still got my backfire valve also.

my neighbor has a newer deer . it's acr just went at 330 hours.

That post made me go look. I got 276 hours on mine. Its actually 11.5 years old. I better stop talking about it. Grass season is not over yet . :D
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby Arkie » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:40 am

jerkputter123 wrote:
38racing wrote:

my neighbor has a newer deer . it's acr just went at 330 hours.

That post made me go look. I got 276 hours on mine. Its actually 11.5 years old. I better stop talking about it. Grass season is not over yet . :D

I've noticed that Murphy listens and re-acts to me when I mention/brag on how good a machine is doing, especially if it's a Briggs. :bricks:
Arkie
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum