• Advertisement

older roto tiller with no spark

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

older roto tiller with no spark

Postby plotthound » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:19 pm

wanted to get the older 5hp briggs engine on my roto tiller running before winter storage but it has no spark.i removed the coil and cleaned everything good with sandpaper then reinstalled it but still no go.im thinking that I gotta pull the flywheel and polish up the points a bit.what would the points setting be on this old codger?im thinking 20 thou.

plotthound
Guide

Advertisement

Re: older roto tiller with no spark

Postby Deere2me » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:07 pm

.020 should do it. Get ya a manual here:http://ppeten.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1014
http://ppeten.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=836

I quote:
"Don't pay any attention to old Dummy."- okie
"pompous a**hole"- steinuit13
"I agree, Deere is a negative around here to say the least"-mek a nik
Nice, huh?
Deere2me
Forum Pro

Postby Merkava_4 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:32 pm

When you pull the flywheel, get rid of the points. Install a Magnetron electronic coil conversion kit. Where that plunger rides on the camshaft to open and close the breaker points, that hole gets blocked off with a metal plug from the Magnetron kit. Is your flywheel aluminum or cast iron? You might have to swap over to a different flywheel. From what I remember, the aluminum flywheels didn't have the correct magnets to fire the coil.

This one 'should' work for a 5 HP horizontal:

http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-3 ... B0038U3TKW
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby RoyM » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:18 pm

Don't bother pulling the flywheel, Cut the wires, replace the coil and call it a day. The old cast iron engines won't accept Magnetron without a flywheel change but yours is no problem.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:50 pm

my fly wheel is cast,i never even thought about changing the ignition.that kit totally eliminates the points? that's cool.this is a great option for this engine,ive had lots of spark troubles in the past.plus I have to remove the engine to get the shroud and flywheel off.would rather only do that procedure once more. :D
plotthound
Guide

Postby Merkava_4 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:02 pm

All you do is put the coil on the same way as a breaker point coil by hooking it up to the air vane and everything, but this time pull the coil all the way up and tighten the screws. Now rotate the flywheel around until the magnets are directly below the coil. Now insert a .010'' feeler gauge in between the flywheel and the coil. When you get it all lined up, loosen the screws and watch the flywheel suck the coil down against the feeler gauge. That's how you set the air gap. Myself, I'd pull the flywheel and hammer the plug in. Make sure the kit includes the plug, the flywheel key, and the kill wire. If somebody robbed the plug out of the kit, don't accept it.
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby plotthound » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:25 pm

thaks again,will definitely go that route.just need to find a good source for that part here in Canada. :bricks:
plotthound
Guide

Postby RoyM » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:18 pm

Any Briggs dealer will have it or will order it for you. www.smallengines.ca is the only Canadian online source I am aware of but you won't save much if any going this route. Most American suppliers won't ship to Canada because of the cost and paperwork involved.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby Merkava_4 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:30 pm

By the way on that flywheel, if you don't have a puller, you can give it a good smack with a block of wood and a hammer. What you do is give it a smack from the side of the flywheel; the side where the magnets are, and it should pop loose from the crankshaft. But before you do that, you gotta take the starter clutch assembly off. What I do with that is either hold the flywheel still by wedging a block of wood under it, or I'll hold it still with my feet. Then what I'll do is take a 1'' x 6'' wooden dowel and give the starter clutch a quick smack right on one of the four ears (in the direction of counter clockwise) where the screws go through to hold the screen on. At that point, it should spin counterclockwise real easy. Be careful with that flywheel though, the blower fins break off real easy. Stay away from the blower fins if you possibly can.
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby plotthound » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:54 pm

good stuff guys,thanks again. :D
plotthound
Guide

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum