• Advertisement

older roto tiller with no spark

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: older roto tiller with no spark

Postby David » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:59 pm

I would be afraid of breaking one of the ears of the starter clutch if hitting it, I think the same starter clutch wrench that fits the 3 and 1/2 hp. lawnmower engine fits that one and pushes on all 4 ears so as not to overload just one ear. Also the clutch which doubles as the flywheel nut needs to be torqued back on or the flywheel might shift,shearing the key. Washer under that clutch must go back on exactly the same as it was?
I think there is a German made pointless ignition armature as an aftermarket part. Stens? Might have to buy the plunger hole plug separately?
David

Postby 38racing » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:18 am

That starter remover and small engines parts are available online in Canada from www.bantasaw.com . Online and telephone order only shipped from near Belleville Ontario. I've been buying from them for several years now. There are some USA suppliers who ship to Canada. One that handles the shipping and brokerage etc at a fair price is www.repairclinic.com.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:39 pm

i ordered that part yesterday from our local small engine shop.50 bux plus tax,thought that was ok.

cheers
plotthound
Guide

Postby Merkava_4 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:12 pm

David wrote:I would be afraid of breaking one of the ears of the starter clutch if hitting it,

Think of a wooden broom handle cut at six inches and using that in conjunction with an eight ounce ballpein hammer. I've done it about a hundred times and have never broken an ear. Two firm smacks on the broom handle and that starter clutch is set in motion spinning off the crankshaft. One little tidbit: Put the screws back into the starter clutch after removing the screen before smacking on it; otherwise those steel balls will come flying out.
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:27 pm

Merkava_4 wrote:
David wrote:I would be afraid of breaking one of the ears of the starter clutch if hitting it,

Think of a wooden broom handle cut at six inches and using that in conjunction with an eight ounce ballpein hammer. I've done it about a hundred times and have never broken an ear. Two firm smacks on the broom handle and that starter clutch is set in motion spinning off the crankshaft. One little tidbit: Put the screws back into the starter clutch after removing the screen before smacking on it; otherwise those steel balls will come flying out.

Annddd.. How do you *torque* it back on to the right spec? I know I used to do things that way too - and rarely, but still often enough, we would have a sheared key that had to be re-done... in this day and age when time is money and quality of work is everything, I wouldn't dream of it though. It does the job in a pinch, but it isn't good enough for those who want it done *right*.. :)

Also, I *Have* broken a few of those ears over the years, and many more that came in with them being busted off (as well as flywheel fins) no matter how much care is taken.. When those starter clutches started costing $15 - $20 and change to replace (not counting labor), well , it isn't worth the risk any more.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Merkava_4 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:23 am

bgsengine wrote:Annddd.. How do you *torque* it back on to the right spec?

By using the same quick love taps I used to loosen it. :)
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby Mek-a-nik » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:21 am

Everyone has taken shortcuts at on time or another.
Merk, if you were doing that one or twice, hey, what the heck. If you've done it "a hundred times", you should really consider investing in the correct tool. If its for a customer, and they're watching, they're a LOT more likely to return.
"The internal combustion orchestra; sweet music."
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:04 am

Mek-a-nik wrote:Everyone has taken shortcuts at on time or another.
Merk, if you were doing that one or twice, hey, what the heck. If you've done it "a hundred times", you should really consider investing in the correct tool. If its for a customer, and they're watching, they're a LOT more likely to return.

Good advice.

I started out using the hammer and punch method too but quickly realize I was wasting time and money. It only takes a few seconds with an impact to remove vs minutes with hammer punch method and without the risks. Re-torquing to specs is no longer guess work with the tool.

In just the first few times I used the starter removal tool it paid for itself especially on one that was crossed thread. Still don't how the customer did it but he did.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:52 pm

installed the new coil today and boy what a difference it makes on that old tiller.2 pulls and away it went,sat there and let it idle for 15 minutes and it never sounded better.

thanks for the pointers. :D
plotthound
Guide

Postby 38racing » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:06 am

I just pulled out my 73 massey tiller which last fall would stop running due to fuel starvation . (I could keep it running by shaking enough to get fuel into the upper well).When I got it the year before I had to put points and condenser in it to get it running. I found the problem in the carb and cleaned it out. But it would not start even with a shot of carb cleaner. Found there was no spark. My testing found that I could get a spark if I just grounded the inline tester . But if I put it on the plug (old and new) there was no spark. I pulled the flywheel and the point gap was less than .020. I reset them and it's running fine. I do have a newer 5hp electronic coil I could put on it. In researching it seems that different flywheel keys are used. What is the difference? (other than 50 cents each , minimum order 10)
38racing
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum