• Advertisement

Convert Tecumseh carb to adjustable?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Convert Tecumseh carb to adjustable?

Postby BLES » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:07 am

LH318SA - 156584H snowblower engine.

Cleaned carb in ultrasonic (although it appeared very clean). Just a tiny spec in the main jet but figured it couldn't hurt to clean whole carb. Re-installed and it fires right up and runs decent at full throttle but is lean at idle and surges terribly or even stops. Runs ok with part choke at idle and no choke at full throttle. This is the non-adjustable carb. Is it possible to convert to adjustable and give it a bit more fuel at idle?

BLES
BLES
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Convert Tecumseh carb to adjustable?

Postby bgsengine » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:48 am

Not only not possible, but also illegal. (EPA Emissions Tampering)

It is an all-too-common problem with Tecumseh and sometimes even a brand new carburetor does not solve it. Only way to fix it is to violate EPA laws on tampering, or replace the engine with something that is better designed. all it takes is one tiny air leak somewhere - even just a slightly worn valve or a porous gasket, wrong spark plug, a change in gas formulation, weakening igniton system - pretty much anything - the Tecumseh engines that met EPA requirements just before they shut down just have no room for error or wear and tear. - no wonder they quit production, eh? too many issues with them, under-powered and lean surge problems out the wazoo. they just couldn't come up with a viable engine design that met EPA rules AND lasted longer than "just went out the door" - 9 times out of 10 a new carburetor will "mostly" resolve the issue - but we have put in new carbs and still had lean running issues.. customer usually either junked it, sold it away to someone else, or decided to live with it - rather than go to the time and expense to go through every bit of the engine with a fine-tooth comb and find that little tiny problem or problems that was causing the engine to be less than perfectly running. - that or they found an old style adjustable carburetor they swapped in themselves (We will not)

Wealth of posts on the forums regarding enlarging idle ports - but you really kinda need to be a carburetion expert to decide which one and how much without going too far and ruining the carburetor.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby motorhead64 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:41 pm

BLES
How much time does a snow blower engine run at idle....next to none. If your engine runs well at wide open throttle, you are ready to blow snow. My recommendation is love the one you're with. MH
motorhead64
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:07 pm

Try cleaning the idle restrictor screw.

I have had these on Briggs carburetors not to be cleaned even after going through several cycles in my ultra sonic cleaner.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:10 pm

Seems laws don't matter anymore and civil disobedience is now "cool". Ebay and Amazon have all sorts of carbs.....but I didn't say that...Due to the current view towards coal, bad little boys and girls will now receive Government approved school lunches in their Christmas stockings in lieu of mined hydrocarbon lumps.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby BLES » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Thanks all. I'm somewhat aware of the surging issues with Tecumseh, but never seen one like this - this severe. Was hoping there was an option without too much trial and error. My neighbor might not like it, but my advice is buy a boat to go with this anchor.

Love my Honda!
BLES
BLES
Guide

Postby 38racing » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:06 am

might not be as illegal here in canada , yet.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Merkava_4 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:31 am

What you do with that is pull the idle restrictor screw out and enlarge the hole running parallel with the screw.

Get you a set of precision wire gauge drill bits. Go up one size at a time until the idle is where you want it.

#20 in the link below:
http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=tecumseh&mn=TEC-640349&dn=CASERIES_AE31640349-CA

Image Image
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby 38racing » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:58 am

a test on that idle jet is to loosen it with engine is running. I had a plugged one causing surging and as I loosened it while running the surge went away. Cleaning it solved the surge.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby BLES » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:51 pm

Merkava_4 wrote:What you do with that is pull the idle restrictor screw out and enlarge the hole running parallel with the screw.

Cleaned out the hole in the end of that idle screw and it now idles. That's one of the smallest orifices!

Thanks again for the help.
BLES
BLES
Guide

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum