• Advertisement

Honda HR214SX Tranmission Issues

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Honda HR214SX Tranmission Issues

Postby davbell25413 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:56 pm

Honda HR214SX #2 high numbered serial number.

When engine is running rear wheels only turn when off the ground. When wheels are on the ground they wont turn and I hear clicking noise.

I know bearings need replaced where the axle goes through but still spins when wheels are on the ground.
davbell25413
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Honda HR214SX Tranmission Issues

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:04 pm

Check to see if the wheels or the rackets have been switched around. I have read of several cases of this year. If the rackets drives at these wheels get switched around then it won't drive forward.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby davbell25413 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:57 pm

How do you tell if the ratchets are on the wrong wheel?
davbell25413
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:16 pm

With engine not running simply engage the transmission then try pushing the mower forward or pulling backwards while on the ground or floor. If they are reversed you will be able push it forward but not pull it backwards.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jwales » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:40 pm

I had an HRR2164, rear wheel drive with what sounds like some of the same symtoms. In my case the woodruff keys (yes both were missing). Had to remove the gears to replace keys.

With the mower not running and drive axel elevated. 1.You should be able to turn the axel by hand. 2.With the traction drive bar engaged you should not be able to turn the axel. 3. Take the drive wheels off, individually turn the gear drive in the COUNTER clockwise direction. You should hear a clicking noise (the woodruff key interacting with the gear). If not the woodruff key could be missing or out of place and/or the gear could be on backwards.
jwales
Guide

Postby davbell25413 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:44 pm

I can pull it backwards when drive is engaged. I'll have to try forwards while engaged.
davbell25413
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:22 am

jwales wrote:I had an HRR2164, rear wheel drive with what sounds like some of the same symtoms. In my case the woodruff keys (yes both were missing). Had to remove the gears to replace keys.

With the mower not running and drive axel elevated. 1.You should be able to turn the axel by hand. 2.With the traction drive bar engaged you should not be able to turn the axel. 3. Take the drive wheels off, individually turn the gear drive in the COUNTER clockwise direction. You should hear a clicking noise (the woodruff key interacting with the gear). If not the woodruff key could be missing or out of place and/or the gear could be on backwards.

On this mower's drive it has a different clutching setup than HHR2164. Below is a picture of the left hand and the right hand clutches
ImageImage
Apart from these then shifter needs checking ti make it is fully engaging high or low speeds, There several pins that could have broken and then of course there could be internal problems.

Dave, here is a link to the IPLs in case you haven't found one,
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Model-Diagram-List/honda/4284
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby davbell25413 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Didnt know those ratchets were available through Stens. I still have hunch that the those arm ratchets are worn down enough to not engage with the resistance of the wheels being on the ground. I will probably end up buying the service manual for this HR214SX.
davbell25413
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum