• Advertisement

Stihl FS-55R - Z carb issue

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Stihl FS-55R - Z carb issue

Postby jwales » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:24 pm

Have an older Stihl FS-55R Numbers I find on it are 4140-011-2355 and 289679559. Not sure which or if Model or serial numbers.
It has a ZAMA carb. I see stamped into carb in different places 101; S186A; 144A and C10. I have cleaned the carb once and can get it to half way idle. bogs and kills trying to get to wide open. Cleaning it again but thought as long as I have it apart why not get a carb/gasket kit.
But I can't figure out which kit to order or carb number is what I should be basing it off of???
jwales
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Stihl FS-55R - Z carb issue

Postby bgsengine » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:51 pm

jwales wrote:. I see stamped into carb in different places 101; S186A; 144A and C10.

C10 = C1Q most likely and that will be cast/molded into the body, right? So you have a Zama C1Q-S186A zama GND-92 or RB-161 Kit most likely
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Merkava_4 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:50 pm

I gotta whole file on Zama carburetors. Send me a Gmail address and I'll mail it to you.
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:35 am

Merkava_4 wrote:I gotta whole file on Zama carburetors. Send me a Gmail address and I'll mail it to you.

Merkava,

Currently Zama has a nice look-up setup on their website at http://zamacarb.com/carburetors/carburetor_lookup.

I know some of us like hard copies but with the number of Zama versions out there it would make huge paper weight.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jwales » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:50 am

Thanks all, for the info. Now I know what to order. I will put the Zama link in my favorites.
jwales
Guide

Postby jwales » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:54 pm

I ended up buying a new carb instead of the rebuild kit since I found a good deal on one. It idles great but kills when trying to go to full throttle. I have been trying adjustments on hi and lo jets but no change. This is what I have done so far. New(good) spark plug; cleaned spark arrestor(even removed it to see if I could get full throttle); new air filter (even removed it to see if I could get full throttle). All tests, no progress, it dies when trying to go full throttle. What am I missing here?? I have not measured compression but thought it was OK since it feels strong when pulling it over.
jwales
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:44 pm

For Stihls seat both mixture and back out 1 turn each. This would be your basic starting setup. Then you tune L for best idle speed. After that then you tune the H for best plus little rich ( where it 4 cycles slightly without load). You may need slight touch up of the L speed for acceleration. The final settings are usually somewhere between 3/4 to 1-1/4 turns each.

As for compression it should be okay as if it wasn't it wouldn't be able to start.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:04 pm

Yup sounds like , if you can't get it adjusted right as KE4 describes it, you likely have a crankcase air leak (slight one) - make sure you got new carb gaskets and they are all good and properly installed (pulse holes) , make sure the fuel lines are good (tiny pinhole sucking air) - other than that you would need to do a crankcase pressure test and vacuum test to check crank seals and gaskets - a slight air leak would do just what you describe although it should be able to be adjusted out for the most part (Will it accelerate if you "goose" the throttle or open throttle very slowly?)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum