• Advertisement

PTO Kills Engine

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

PTO Kills Engine

Postby Mek-a-nik » Mon May 04, 2015 2:50 pm

JD L130 with a Kohler CV23S 77769, about 11 years old.

I did maintenance work on it about a month ago. Owner mentioned that the engine dies when pulling the (electric) PTO. I found that it would not kill the engine if it was engaged at about 1/2 throttle (which is easier on the clutch, anyway). Then I found that the air filter was not installed correctly, and dirt had been entering the engine. The owner told me he takes it out occasionally to blow it out. I told him he was not installing it correctly, plus blowing out the element wasn't as good as a new filter because the pores clog. I told him his engine had most likely incurred excessive wear as a result.

Both spark plugs had good color, no dead cylinder.

Anyway, he called me over the weekend to tell me it's dying again when he pulls the PTO. I haven't returned his call yet, but I figure I'll check spark on both cylinders to be sure, and do leak down and compression tests.

Any other reasons it would die? I don't feel it's in the wiring, as it would stay running when pulled at 1/2 throttle.

EDIT: I just spoke with him. I told what I mentioned above, and said it's certainly possible that a safety switch is acting up since I was there working on it, and to make sure the mandrels and idler pullys are free. He said nothing is wrapped around the blades.
"The internal combustion orchestra; sweet music."
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: PTO Kills Engine

Postby HondaG100 » Mon May 04, 2015 4:23 pm

Mek-a-nik wrote: I found that it would not kill the engine if it was engaged at about 1/2 throttle (which is easier on the clutch, anyway). .

If compression checks okay I think you have a clogged low speed circuit in the carb. It becomes less important as the RPMs get higher. Does it idle well with the blades off? Most mowers (especially single cylinders) need at least a little power on to engage the blades so it may only be an imagined issue for this guy. I would also like to hear your reasoning behind high speed engagement being better for the clutch.
HondaG100
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Mon May 04, 2015 4:41 pm

is he trying to engage PTO at idle or at full throttle? If at full throttle, Im with honda - idle circuit problem - (Can probably stall it out to or make it stumble if you snap throttle open when it is at high idle) if starting it at idle, it's probably a worn out engine - in fact most machines I rarely see them handle starting the PTO well when at idle.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bobodu » Tue May 05, 2015 4:37 am

Had one do that...turned out the mounting bolts were loose causing a bad ground.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Mek-a-nik » Tue May 05, 2015 6:12 am

HondaG100 wrote:
Mek-a-nik wrote: I found that it would not kill the engine if it was engaged at about 1/2 throttle (which is easier on the clutch, anyway). .

If compression checks okay I think you have a clogged low speed circuit in the carb. It becomes less important as the RPMs get higher. Does it idle well with the blades off? Most mowers (especially single cylinders) need at least a little power on to engage the blades so it may only be an imagined issue for this guy. I would also like to hear your reasoning behind high speed engagement being better for the clutch.

As I recall, it idled fine. -It's been a while since I've been there. (I'm mobile.) I've seen that idle circuit problem, I don't think that's it on this one.

It's a twin.

I read in a manual for something, sometime, that engaging at 1/2 throttle, (not idle, it will die), is easier on the clutch itself. Less wear and stress.
But, I just read a MTD Cub Cadet manual that says engage at high speed. A single cyl., maybe as you said, it couldn't do it at a lower speed.
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Postby Mek-a-nik » Tue May 05, 2015 6:16 am

bgsengine wrote:is he trying to engage PTO at idle or at full throttle? If at full throttle, Im with honda - idle circuit problem - (Can probably stall it out to or make it stumble if you snap throttle open when it is at high idle) if starting it at idle, it's probably a worn out engine - in fact most machines I rarely see them handle starting the PTO well when at idle.

When I first went there, it would die engaging at full speed. I found that when running about 1/2 throttle, it would do it. He says now, that it won't even do that. I'm pretty sure it was idling good back then. Maybe it's not now?
I'll try snapping the throttle open.
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Postby HondaG100 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:17 am

bobodu wrote:Had one do that...turned out the mounting bolts were loose causing a bad ground.

That would be a tough one! Had an almost brand new Snapper in the other day with the engine already trying to escape.
HondaG100
Guide

Postby Mek-a-nik » Tue May 05, 2015 6:17 am

bobodu wrote:Had one do that...turned out the mounting bolts were loose causing a bad ground.

Good thought, too. I'll check.
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Postby Mek-a-nik » Tue May 05, 2015 6:18 am

I don't go back there until next Wednesday. I'll report back...
Thanks for the ideas.
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue May 05, 2015 7:21 am

Since it dying when engaging you really be there to listen to engine to see it is dying. A safety shutdown sounds different then an engine related shutdown.

When engaging the PTO. You need to remember that these engines run primary off the idle circuits when not under a load and used the main circuit when engaging any heavy load and the deck definitely qualifies as heavy. With this using a single barrel carburetor anything blocking the main circuit will show up in both cylinders.

BTW that engine number posted appears invalid as far as Kohler Plus look-up is concerned. It looks like is a CV23-75569
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum