• Advertisement

Echo gt-200r string trimmer wont stay running

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Echo gt-200r string trimmer wont stay running

Postby bgsengine » Wed May 13, 2015 5:10 pm

Jesush91 wrote:
I purchased this carburetor new and installed it when replacing the fuel lines this month. So youre saying maybe this carb came this way from factory? By the way this rb-k70 carb was purchased and i was told it was a stock part on the gt-200r trimmer however the original carb based on closer inspection says its an rb-k75. By the way, closer inspection of the trimmer parts date of manufacture state this trimmer was manufactured in 2007

Got a serial number?

Older models used RB-K70 , newer models got the RB-K75 - they are not interchangeable... so if your machine was supposed to have a RB-K75 that also may very well be your issue. - only way to tell for sure is by the serial number, regardless of your date of manufacture - some times changes may be a "running production" change in mid-year of production, other times there are design changes for a given *model year* (as opposed to date of manufacture)

And finally - it is possible the carburetor has a defect - as noted you need to check and see if the bores line up - if they do not then the roller is missing - whether it was a defective new (unlikely, as I am pretty sure their QC checks check that on every carburetor off the production line) or maybe dealer or whoever sold it to you "robbed" the roller from it for a spare part and forgot to replace it.. - but as I said - that is if the throttle bore does NOT line up with the carb body. You need to check it , maybe while getting the serial number written down.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Jesush91 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:05 pm

bgsengine wrote:
Jesush91 wrote:
I purchased this carburetor new and installed it when replacing the fuel lines this month. So youre saying maybe this carb came this way from factory? By the way this rb-k70 carb was purchased and i was told it was a stock part on the gt-200r trimmer however the original carb based on closer inspection says its an rb-k75. By the way, closer inspection of the trimmer parts date of manufacture state this trimmer was manufactured in 2007

Got a serial number?

Older models used RB-K70 , newer models got the RB-K75 - they are not interchangeable... so if your machine was supposed to have a RB-K75 that also may very well be your issue. - only way to tell for sure is by the serial number, regardless of your date of manufacture - some times changes may be a "running production" change in mid-year of production, other times there are design changes for a given *model year* (as opposed to date of manufacture)

And finally - it is possible the carburetor has a defect - as noted you need to check and see if the bores line up - if they do not then the roller is missing - whether it was a defective new (unlikely, as I am pretty sure their QC checks check that on every carburetor off the production line) or maybe dealer or whoever sold it to you "robbed" the roller from it for a spare part and forgot to replace it.. - but as I said - that is if the throttle bore does NOT line up with the carb body. You need to check it , maybe while getting the serial number written down.

Serial number is S65111014454 it seems odd that there would be two different carbs for the same engine. I guess maybe the engine was slightly different in a way that would require a different carb. I HOPE thats the deal
Jesush91

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 15, 2015 3:38 pm

Your serial is in the range that uses the RB-K75.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Jesush91 » Fri May 15, 2015 6:29 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Your serial is in the range that uses the RB-K75.

Thats right! The old carb i took off is still in my garage. Upon further inspection it had the rb-k75 letters on it. When that carb became junk i looked on ebay typing in "carb echo gt-200r" and i chose the first listing i saw after confirming it in fact did fit. However i do remember seeing a more expensive listing for an rb-k75. I chose the rb-k70 before looking at the old carb, confident i ordered the right one. It looked exactly the same as the old carb too.

So this tiny difference is why the trimmer wont work properly? I cant return the carb since its been installed and used now. But man do i love how good the trimmer used to work, it performed waaay better than the craftsman trimmer my dad has. And the echo turns on in just 2 gentle pulls from a cold start unlike the craftsman. I dont want to throw the echo away at all. A new rb-k75 costs $27 shipped to my door. Is that the sure fire solution?
Jesush91

Postby bgsengine » Sun May 17, 2015 5:46 pm

Jesush91 wrote: A new rb-k75 costs $27 shipped to my door. Is that the sure fire solution?
Not necessarily if that RB-K75 is a chinese aftermarket "clone" (Not OEM) - That price is lower than dealer cost even.. if you have a source and they are genuine OEM carburetors, would love to know the source cause it'd be a nice savings over dealer cost from the distributor.

- And there is no sure-fire to it - it will either solve the problem or it won't without a complete diagnostic, however the differences can very well be the whole difference in them - the older style may have different jetting due to engine design changes - I never really looked into that - mainly because I never tried to fit up an older carb to a newer machine - since we already know that serial numbers can make the difference in getting the right part.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Jesush91 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:37 pm

bgsengine wrote:
Jesush91 wrote: A new rb-k75 costs $27 shipped to my door. Is that the sure fire solution?
Not necessarily if that RB-K75 is a chinese aftermarket "clone" (Not OEM) - That price is lower than dealer cost even.. if you have a source and they are genuine OEM carburetors, would love to know the source cause it'd be a nice savings over dealer cost from the distributor.

- And there is no sure-fire to it - it will either solve the problem or it won't without a complete diagnostic, however the differences can very well be the whole difference in them - the older style may have different jetting due to engine design changes - I never really looked into that - mainly because I never tried to fit up an older carb to a newer machine - since we already know that serial numbers can make the difference in getting the right part.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/281689152280?nav=SEARCH

The real deal. My oem carb was stamped zama and it said CHINA on it. So does the zama in my dad's craftsman trimmer it says made in china. The new rb-k70 i installed was oem zama too, i partially opted for that one vs the 75 because the 70 cost me $22 and change shipped to my door. I really like this echo trimmer so ill bite the bullet and buy the rb-k75.
Jesush91

Postby bgsengine » Mon May 18, 2015 6:26 am

By all means take your chances I recognize those pictures - I have seen these also listed on Amazon - I actually bought one there to check it out - they come in counterfeited boxes, some of them even have zama parts (like purge body) put on them to get the real zama logo and stampings, etc. Can't even get them from the Zama distributor for that price they have listed there, so no way that seller can be making money unless they are selling knock-offs.

- they *almost* look like the real thing, but they're grey market counterfeits imported from China.. (Amazing, isn't it? a chinese company making knock-offs of a product made by another chinese company... had to happen sooner or later)
So, it is about the same deal as you may get from buying a chinese honda clone from Harbor Freight - If it works well, you got a good one, but if you did not get a good one, you won't get much of a warranty coverage, and worse yet if it "seems to" work but causes a lean condition and ruins the machine, well....

But I assure you, that seller lies - they are *NOT* Genuine Zama by any stretch of the imagination, nor are they genuine Echo parts. They are sellers selling knock-off copies of Zama that they purchase or drop-ship from Alibaba - which is well known for grey market or counterfeit goods flooding the USA market. They will have no factory warranty, they will have no quality control checks, and you may very likely have to get special tools to adjust the carburetor, if it is not set right, from out of the box - They could also be factory rejects from the Zama factory which did not pass Zama's (or Echo's) quality control checks...

In other words - cheapest is not always best - sometimes the cheapest deal ends up costing you more in the long run.. So... Caveat Emptor. I would sooner buy from a reputable dealer and pay a bit more, with the confidence that they will back up their sale if anything goes wrong.
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 18, 2015 8:15 am

Good advice.

I looked over those images too. They are not all of the same carburetor and carb is not as clean as it should be. One difference that stands is the extra hole on engine side of the carburetor when I compare it to the used K75 I have here.

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon May 18, 2015 9:02 am

That's why I say they could be Quality Control rejects - On inspection they get rejected for OE Zama or OE Echo, and get thrown out in the trash or recycle bin - Would not surprise me in the least if a few (or more) Factory workers are "cleaning out" the scrap bin and selling them to grey-market exporter for pennies on the dollar (that's what Grey Market is - The part or machine may have been made by the factory, but they were never packaged or passed QC checks for sale.. - They get thrown out and a scrap dealer or employees on the take will load up all those rejects and then sell them for pennies on the dollar of retail value to another company that then exports them - the buyers that buy these then will re-sell them for cheap and label them as "genuine" when they are not. - Many popular brands that are built in Chinese (and other countries) factories may often end up being sold as-is on the grey market - Stihl, Yanmar are a couple of very notable ones! - Lot of those really cheap Stihl new saws you see on ebay are just that - Grey Market or Counterfeits. many of those exporters will sell on Alibaba - which is most likely the source they came from - definitely not a place I will ever buy from. )
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Merkava_4 » Mon May 18, 2015 4:35 pm

There's one seller on ebay that I have bought two genuine Briggs & Stratton
Pulsa-Prime carburetors from and they're both installed and running well.
They package the parts for shipping real good and they ship fast.
Merkava_4
Guide

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum