• Advertisement

Spark tester for small engines

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Spark tester for small engines

Postby JonCraig » Fri May 29, 2015 9:00 pm

Any recommendations for a spark tester for small engines? I'm a little tired of my "bent a certain way" piece of wire, as well as the "grab onto the wire" trick.

Does a regular 'ol $10 automotive tester work on small engines? (I have no idea if the plug voltages are in the same ballpark or not.)

What do you guys use and/or recommend for a hobbyist like myself?

Thanks!

--JC
JonCraig
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Spark tester for small engines

Postby David » Fri May 29, 2015 9:18 pm

Is the Briggs and Stratton spark tester still available? it was #19368
(question of my own: Does that spark tester have too much gap (resistance) to be used on a Stihl machine such as the KM 130?
David

Re: Spark tester for small engines

Postby bgsengine » Fri May 29, 2015 9:56 pm

Do a search for Oregon 42-087 spark tester - they're virtually equivalent to the Briggs tester and they are relatively cheap and listed all over the place - ebay, amazon, and hundreds of web stores (mostly ARI powered).. although as to how long it would take to GET them after ordering would be anyone's guess.. (Our listing is not up at the moment since we're sold out.. until next week. )

@David: The gap should be OK for those - gap is approximately 1/4 inch or 6mm which would roughly equate to a 15-18Kv I believe.. Or you could get an Echo tester PET-4000 like we have on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1596405711 - gap is adjustable to get the firing KV's you want to test at although it is a little bit unwieldy in some applications and does not like being dropped or tossed in a toolbox.. much like a micrometer or other precision tool.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum