• Advertisement

In need of a Transaxle

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

In need of a Transaxle

Postby madmantrapper » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:54 am

I have a 917.255981 GT with a few broken gears in the trans. I am looking for either the gears or a unit. The unit number is 137982. The gear numbers are hard to id from the diagram. The thing lost 1st and reverse, hi lo range works OK. Any lead would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul
madmantrapper
Guide

Advertisement

Re: In need of a Transaxle

Postby RoyM » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:11 am

If it is a Peerless transmission, Husqvarna now owns the line. If an older Dana/Foote you will need to do some digging as they are no longer in production.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby madmantrapper » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:59 pm

According to the tag on the unit it is a 137973. I found a 105474X out of a 917.255912. According to the parts list the insides use the same parts numbers. The case halves have different numbers. The axles have the same numbers. I think it is worth buying and adapting or robbing the parts to rebuild the original if I can't make it fit. Looking for thoughts.

Paul
madmantrapper
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:02 am

If internal part number are the same for the trannies; I would assume that the parts are the same. If your case halves are in good condition I would just use the one you found as a donor and fix the current one. Just my opinion though.

So far I only swapped one Dana with a Peerless and the linkages were different. I was lucky enough that AYP had made the conversion before they quit making the model I was working on and factory linkages available. That was the only option in my case as the Dana spiders shattered both the upper and lower case halves.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum