• Advertisement

Kawasaki FB460v no spark

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kawasaki FB460v no spark

Postby slo jim » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:48 pm

I am trying to restore an old John Deere 165 Hydro with an FB460V-BS-00 engine. I cannot get it to spark. I have changed plug, disconnected the ground wire on the ignition module and finally changed the module. The flywheel has magnetism. What am I missing? I was pretty certain that the problem was the ignition module, but upon installing a new one…nothing changed. I have not worked on many Kawasakis, but they seem pretty similar to all the others. I know occasionally one can get a bad ignition module, but it is certainly the exception.
slo jim

Advertisement

Re: Kawasaki FB460v no spark

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:26 pm

Which are you saying you changed; the ignition coil or the ignitor? Ignitors do go bad more often than the ignition coils or at least that is my experience here.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby slo jim » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:43 pm

I changed the ignition module. I am unfamiliar with the ignitor.
slo jim

Postby slo jim » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:13 pm

Looks like I replaced the ignition coil.
slo jim

Postby NO0C » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 pm

At least the igniter is not high dollar.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:03 am

The ignitor is the triggering device for the ignition coil that is separate from the coil pack instead being encased as part of the coil. The universal version sold under the trade names Atom and Nova II is what can be used to replace points on many magneto base ignition systems especially on older chainsaws and other small engines. The universal version can be setup for either positive or negative ground systems.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby slo jim » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:12 pm

I thought I read somewhere that these modifications could not be used for electric start engines. Is this correct?
slo jim

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:32 pm

slo jim wrote:I thought I read somewhere that these modifications could not be used for electric start engines. Is this correct?

Funny Kawasaki does all the time on their magneto systems. Now I don't know if can used on the battery powered ignitions.

Matter of fact I had to repair a Kawasaki engine ignition system on JD rider last year that nearly set my pants leg on fire as the was firing either that late or early. It would randomly shoot out a foot long flame out the muffler and sounded like my .357. The first time it did it I thought someone had shot me.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby slo jim » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:25 pm

I was hoping that the warning against using the igniter modification was for battery coils like those on the old Kohler K engines. Mine does not have points/condenser but it does have the igniter attached to the block with a wire which runs to the magneto coil. .357 gunfire in my shop would not be welcome.
slo jim

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:09 pm

slo jim wrote:I was hoping that the warning against using the igniter modification was for battery coils like those on the old Kohler K engines. Mine does not have points/condenser but it does have the igniter attached to the block with a wire which runs to the magneto coil. .357 gunfire in my shop would not be welcome.

It wasn't too welcome by me either. I about jump out of my skin when it first happen.

It is was an unusual failure of the ignitor causing ignition timing shift. I replace it and all has be well for the last year.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum