• Advertisement

GCV160 Gasket

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

GCV160 Gasket

Postby NO0C » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:47 pm

Has anyone come across an aftermarket head/cam cover gasket for a Honda GCV160?

I find the sealant trick a PITA.

Thanks.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: GCV160 Gasket

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:31 pm

Might as well get use to it as that the way the industry is currently trending; just the Prematex Ultra Grey as sticks much better on oily surfaces and looks professional done when not over done as it matches the aluminum finish much better than the red stuff that doesn't stick well anyway. Kohler even using RTV Ultra Black to seal their crankcases.

Btw the backbone razor blades can be good helper on removing the covers as you just cut the sealant and then clean up.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RJRacing » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:19 pm

I just use black RTV and let it skin over for 15 min or so before putting the cover back on
RJRacing

Postby Merkava_4 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:14 am

You mean Honda, like their cars, aren't using gaskets for their small engines either?

I'd be so inclined to make my own gasket using some gasket material, a ball point pen,
a hole punch, a hammer, an X-acto knife, and a white polyethylene cutting board.
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby NO0C » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:54 am

Merkava_4 wrote:You mean Honda, like their cars, aren't using gaskets for their small engines either?

That's correct for the cover and the crankcase/oil pan. But they make up for it by using 5 to mount the carburetor and air cleaner assembly. :twisted:

The sealant seals well, it's just that it's so time consuming to clean up the parts to be able to reinstall the cover. I helped my neighbor set the valves on his B&S 122602 with a paper gasket. It was remove, adjust and reinstall.

Yes manufacturers have been doing it for years, for example FoMoCo differential covers have been sealed for years without a gasket, but there are aftermarket gaskets readily available, ergo the reason I ask.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby Mek-a-nik » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:45 am

NO0C wrote:That's correct for the cover and the crankcase/oil pan. But they make up for it by using 5 to mount the carburetor and air cleaner assembly. :twisted:
[/quote]
Now that's funny! It is true.
"The internal combustion orchestra; sweet music."
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Postby aj-allen » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:55 am

You can replace the tin cover with the one from gsv models part number 12311-Z2A-000, gasket part number 12312-Z2A-000.
aj-allen
Forum Regular

Postby NO0C » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:23 pm

Thanks aj-allen.

That's just what I was looking for. I have them ordered (+1 extra gasket) for $13.08 FOB Husker Nation/Big Red Country.

I can't tell if the new cast cover has a provision for keeping the camshaft shaft from working out. I can't imagine that would even be a problem with the pressure of the belt on the camshaft pulley and the gripping action of the shaft seal ring.

I will visit Menards or Ace when they arrive and purchase 4, 6mm flange capscrews of the correct length for a proper fit due to the mounting flange being wider. I read a thread on another forum and a fellow replaced his bent cover with a cast one, but mentioned that the 6X25 bolts were a tad long for the blind holes, and he popped through the blind, so I'll see if I can get by with 6X20 capscrews. It did not cause a problem for him. Should be easy to measure the mounting flange thickness and add that on to the 12mm that the current capscrews are. I don't recall if any of the 4 holes on my engine are blind or not.

The price of the whole banana will be a bargain when it eliminates the time and frustration of cleaning up the residual goop left behind upon removal.

Thanks again. What a great forum and members.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:30 pm

For the record, the cast cover includes the tab to check the cam pulley shaft from working loose and the cover thickness is .5 in / 12.7 mm so using 25 mm bolts should work just fine. Now for a cooler day to swap it out.

Thanks everyone.

NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:15 am

Just a note to wrap up this thread. I purchased 4 new 6mm-1.0 X 25mm flanged bolts at Menards (2029838), but felt uncomfortable installing them without a washer for fear they might pop out the blind holes. I just used a common ¼” flat washer (~1/16” thick) and all is right in the world. No more sealant residue to clean up when reinstalling the cover.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum