• Advertisement

kohler fuel pumps

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

kohler fuel pumps

Postby 38racing » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:46 pm

I got a freebie Craftsman rider with a cv15 Kohler. I had some issue with the fuel pump not pumping after it sat. Last time I tried priming through outlet and when I cranked with my finger over the outlet it started. On short downtime it would restart. Now on long downtime it won't pup. Trick from last time is not working. It seems to be 2 halves bolted together but I find no ki for it. I can get a pump for $46 but I see a pulse type apparently used on cv17s and up for only $14. I am wondering if a connection to the valve cover would be enough pulse? If so, is there a special fitting to use to keep oil from entering the pump?
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: kohler fuel pumps

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Is this the pump your referring to that you currently have?
Is so in order to the vacuum pump you would make a block off plate and modify the valve cover or the new block to accept a vacuum fitting. Then setup would be same as a Briggs.

As far as I know there is no repair kit for the one pictured but there are aftermarket versions available for about $15 less than the OEM pump @ $40. Of course these prices are in USD and without S&H.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:23 pm

Yeah they are plastic body - Take it apart and check the diaphragm to make sure it is not ruptured (will leak gas into crankcase) and then inspect the c heck valves and gaskets - odds are you will find one or both check valves are loose and will fall out of the body - if they are not damaged and they are clean, they can be re-installed (make sure they go in the right way so fuel flows one way through pump) and then they can be "staked" in place which will often make them usable again - However if the diaphragms are ruptured or valves damaged or rusted, etc - they are not repairable. (Can also do the same with aluminum body but those are usually corroded beyond repair anyway)

You can replace fuel pump with a Kohler block-off plate for that hole and drill out the plate, tap it 1/8 NPT threads, put in a 1/8 NPT, 1/4" barbed fuel fitting to run crankcase vacuum to a pulse pump , and just route the pulse line higher than the fitting is and oil should not get to the pulse pump.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:58 am

I was thinking of just leaving old pump in place with in/out capped. I will check for a cap or maybe fab one.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:07 pm

38racing wrote:I was thinking of just leaving old pump in place with in/out capped. I will check for a cap or maybe fab one.

Kohler part number 240282-S we did that on a Deere unit by customer request .
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:41 pm

bgsengine wrote:
38racing wrote:I was thinking of just leaving old pump in place with in/out capped. I will check for a cap or maybe fab one.

Kohler part number 240282-S we did that on a Deere unit by customer request .

Thanks. I should have asked sooner. RC has it in stock but my order has shipped.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:36 am

Fixing to do that on a 1955 OMC outboard.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum