• Advertisement

Outdoor Power Equipment Repair Company

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Outdoor Power Equipment Repair Company

Postby KevAguilar1 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:20 pm

My name is Kevin, and I currently reside in Yonkers, New York. I own a landscaping company, yet I want to incorporate an outdoor power equipment repair service to my company. Can anyone recommend books, videos, or even courses teaching how to repair power equipment? I am open to any suggestions and will welcome ANY feedback regarding the power equipment repair industry.
KevAguilar1

Advertisement

Re: Outdoor Power Equipment Repair Company

Postby HondaG100 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:29 pm

Hi Kevin,
As I suspect many on this forum are I am almost completely self taught when it comes to small engine repair and various other disciplines. I have been doing it as a hobby and later as supplemental income since I was in my early teens. I truly enjoy solving difficult problems that nobody else was able to. With that being said if you really want to get started in equipment repair, your best bet may be to get a job at another shop for a while until you have a solid base from which to learn. There are many good sources of information online but due to the technical nature of the business it will be hard to learn that way unless you get dirty first. Your local community college will have courses you could check into. Most factory certifications such as the Briggs MST will require experience in the field.
HondaG100
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:01 pm

It all depends on your learning style and ability to learn - if you can teach yourself or hire someone experienced to work for you, it is easy enough to buy several books (Starting with "Small Engines" by Bruce Radcliff) - all you really need to know are the basics, IF you have the capability to learn quickly and take instruction, there's plenty of that information right here in the forums - there's been theory discussions, diagnostic discussions, specific case examples, questions and fixes all over these forums and others.

But if you need to have someone hold your hand and show you how it is done on even the simplest tasks, you are better off getting a job in a professional shop where you'll have co-workers and technical information at hand to guide you on the way.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bobodu » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:43 am

"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Mek-a-nik » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:21 am

If there were a sticky dedicated to how to start a biz, I'd add a write-up about my 7 year old mobile biz.
"The internal combustion orchestra; sweet music."
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:03 am

Mek-a-nik wrote:If there were a sticky dedicated to how to start a biz, I'd add a write-up about my 7 year old mobile biz.

Do it, and we'll stick it up somewhere. anyone else wanna contribute? :)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Kevin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:25 am

bobodu wrote:Maybe we need a sticky.....http://ppeten.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1427

Sure, make me a sticky, see if I care :lol: :lol:
Kevin

"Warning, folks: If you live by the bumperstickerism, you'll die by the bumperstickerism.."

~ Paul Myers
Kevin

Postby RoyM » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:03 am

OK, you're a sticky. ;)
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby Kevin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:34 pm

:D
Kevin

"Warning, folks: If you live by the bumperstickerism, you'll die by the bumperstickerism.."

~ Paul Myers
Kevin

Return to Technical Discussion Forum