• Advertisement

John Deere Sabre electrical problem...I hate John Deere!

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: John Deere Sabre electrical problem...I hate John Deere!

Postby bgsengine » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:09 pm

bgsengine wrote:
KE4AVB wrote:
bgsengine wrote:By the way - That is not a John Deere - That is an AYP/Husqvarna/Crapsman/AKA Boat Anchor.

Sabre was a economy line of lawn equipment produced by Deere & Company from 1995 until 2002. Many of the same equipment was also sold under the Scotts brand name.

Ah - thats it.. Brain fart - mixed up Sabre with Scotts, must be - I could swear I have seen , in person, a Scotts mower built on an AYP platform - but then again it may not have been the same Scotts as the ones Deere made, now that I think of it - much like Ryobi - there's the ones made by MTD, then there's the same ones made by TTI

In any case, I still say that the Sabre (and the Scotts) are not really a Deere - they're just cheap mass market junk hiding behind Deere badges... just like the L and LA series - they are no better than your average MTD or AYP machine..

An update to this:

Actually... I just today ran across the machine I was thinking of - The Craftsman machines supposedly built by John Deere - The build, the hood, the deck linkages, etc are all identical to a Deere L110 I also serviced recently - However, on a parts lookup for the unit, I noted that all the part numbers are *ALSO* AYP/HOP part numbers that we can order from Dixie Sales - and they are identical parts to the Deere parts I happen to have on hand - exactly identical (Mower lift handle, springs, gas tank, steering system is identical to the whole pedestal I pulled off a junked Deere, etc.) - and MUCH Cheaper. that is why I believed that many of those mass market Deere units were in fact built by AYP - the parts are entirely interchangeable and this deck uses AYP Spindle kits. I can sit the Deere parts and the AYP parts side by side, and they are exactly identical. - I can pull the whole deck off that AYP Sears and it fits up perfectly to that L110 sitting in the yard waiting for pickup. - There's little to no difference between that L110 and the 917.289223 craftsman unit that I can find, other than the paint job and decals.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:22 pm

My daughter has a Deere L100 about 2004 I think. Didn't strike me that it looks like AYP but maybe my ayp stuff is older. Mid 90s. I will check her spindle as I just bought one for a neighbour's poulan.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:31 pm

Strange the spindle JD got listed for the L100 and L110 doesn't look any AYP/EHP/Husqvarna I have seen.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:52 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Strange the spindle JD got listed for the L100 and L110 doesn't look any AYP/EHP/Husqvarna I have seen.

Agreed - that's my confusion as well - but the deck itself is an exact match, uses the same parts in the PTO - The belt guides under the engine, the PTO Lever and cable (and hookups) and attachment points (draft arms) are identical - So is the mower deck lift lever parts, even the seat pan is a match (if you ignore color) using the same stampings, the steering console is interchangeable - bolts up the same way and uses the same parts, and the hood itself is identical, except for the paint, to a LA115 I recently serviced too (It is newer than the L110, I didn't do any deck work on it or I am sure I would have noticed - the blades are a star center hole on the Craftsman but a 2-bolt on the L110)

I keep looking at that sears tractor and keep finding more stuff that you could quite literally swap out from that to one or another Deere models I have worked on..

I just went out and got some pictures - worth a thousand words and all that - gonna upload them to the bucket and anyone who has worked on enough Deere models will instantly recognize a lot of them.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bgsengine » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:33 pm

Have a peek at this "Deere" in craftsman red... http://s465.photobucket.com/user/trukfi ... peten-pics
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:50 pm

Sounds and looks more like hybrid. Doesn't surprise me a bit with the way things have been going lately. Not going to lose sleep over it anyway.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:17 pm

I have an ingersoll 1112 (1990) which was made from Murray/Noma parts because Ingersoll didn't make its own smaller lawn units. Guy said they bought all the stuff from Murray and assembled, painted, numbered them as their own.
38racing
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum