• Advertisement

Maximum operating angle for B&S 287707

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Maximum operating angle for B&S 287707

Postby OverKnight » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:53 pm

I have a Snapper 331416BVE mower with a B&S 287707.1255-E3.000807ZE engine, which I might sell to a neighbor. Their front lawn has a section with about a 20 degree slope. Is there a problem with running this engine on this angle? I did a few searches but could not find this information. The engine is mounted longitudinally on this mower, with the cylinder facing the front of the mower. I believe this engine is just splash-lubricated (there is no oil filter), and the amount of time it would be running on this slope is maybe 30 seconds per pass, i.e., 30 seconds with the left side down, then 30 seconds back with the right side down, and then there is a level section which might take a little more than 30 seconds. I’ve cut their lawn a few times and did not experience any problems; even the float carburetor (Nikki) handled this slope without complaint.

I recall that the Kohler KT17 engines had problems running on a slope, especially the series 1 engines. I don’t want to sell this mower to them if running it on this angle will harm the engine.

Thank you.
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet
OverKnight
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Maximum operating angle for B&S 287707

Postby bgsengine » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:39 am

I assume that is a tractor - running a tractor sidelong on a 20 degree slope is just asking for a rollover. But most briggs engines I know of should have little trouble with a 20 degree angle of operation as long as the oil level is maintained full..

But operationally - one should always only go UP AND DOWN a slope that is greater than 15 degree angle - never sidelong - even with a push mower.. with turns being made on a level area.. and if you cant turn on a level area, shouldn't even be mowing the slope to begin with.. Ive seen mowers tip over on less slope than 20 degrees when turning... in fact I've nearly rolled myself even knowing fully that it was a potential danger, and doing everything I could to stabilize, it sure was a "heart attack" moment.. and that is when I stopped thinking the "manufacturer recommendations" in the owner's manual for the slope gauge many riders may have was just plain silly .. it ain't.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RoyM » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:11 am

As said Briggs recommends no more than 15 degrees. The engine may tolerate more before flooding or oil starvation become issues but I won't, too easy to roll and get hurt. My Kubota has a roll bar and seat belt but I have no intention of testing them although I came close once.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby OverKnight » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:45 pm

Thank you, bgsengine and RoyM, I appreciate your concern for safety. This Snapper mower is one of their rear-engine riders, not a tractor. Compared to my Cub Cadet 127, it has a fairly low center of gravity, and it doesn’t feet even close to tipping over. The 20 degree slope is an estimate on my part; I’ll try to get a more accurate measurement of the degree of slope. Going up and down would be difficult because it’s a narrow, maybe 20 feet. I change the oil twice per year, and it uses no oil (I wish my car had the same oil consumption as my mower!), so it’s always full of clean 30W oil.
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet
OverKnight
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum