• Advertisement

murray/noma spindle +? issue

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

murray/noma spindle +? issue

Postby 38racing » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:26 am

I have a Noma with a 43" deck. It much like the 39" decks that I have a few of. I found it was cutting low on one side. When I checked the low (right) side blade is definitely lining up below the left blade. Swapped blades , no change. Swapped spindles no change. . No change except I now recalled that the originally blades were new (but I may have jammed them with a branch) but that I had to grind some off the ends of at least one because it hit the deck (more on that later) . Got new blades Same issues with new blades as they wanted to hit the deck. I then swapped spindles and no change . Right side still the lower side. So I am thinking bent deck? I noticed that if I held finger to just touch blade then rotating blade 180 it did not touch finger. So bent deck or spindle? Worried that my spindle swap wasn't really a swap (picked up same spindle as removed) I swapped again. Funny thing so on the left side the blade no longer hit the deck and finger test was ok. I then proceeded to remount the spindle by 90 degrees at a time and low and behold the blades now hit the deck again. On right side no hit and finger test not bad but blade still lower than left.So going back to square one with at least one new spindle.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: murray/noma spindle +? issue

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:15 pm

May require installing shim washers on one spindle mounting bolts. I have done that on several AYP decks where one side is always cutting lower than the other.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: murray/noma spindle +? issue

Postby 38racing » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:29 pm

KE4AVB wrote:May require installing shim washers on one spindle mounting bolts. I have done that on several AYP decks where one side is always cutting lower than the other.

I was thinking of making a shim plate to spread force equally around the spindle base
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum