• Advertisement

Stihl Chain Saw

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Stihl Chain Saw

Postby bill18163 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:36 am

I have a Stihl MS 210 chain saw. It's about 4-5 years old. The problem I have is that it bogs down when you try to accelerate. If you gently squeeze the trigger you can get it to go up to full speed and it runs like a bear. If you are at idle and hit the trigger hard it will bog down and die out. I have tried adjusting the high speed and low speed needles per the manual but I can't seem to get it right. What would I look for to try to correct this?
bill18163

Advertisement

Re: Stihl Chain Saw

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:06 am

Being 4-5 yrs probably will need new carburetor diaphragms especially the metering one. They stiffen over time and become less responsive.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:12 am

bill18163 wrote:I have a Stihl MS 210 chain saw. It's about 4-5 years old. The problem I have is that it bogs down when you try to accelerate. If you gently squeeze the trigger you can get it to go up to full speed and it runs like a bear. If you are at idle and hit the trigger hard it will bog down and die out. I have tried adjusting the high speed and low speed needles per the manual but I can't seem to get it right. What would I look for to try to correct this?

Lean hesitation - needs a richer fuel mix on the idle side - but if adjusting it "rich down" does not help then you may have to do a diaphragm kit, adjust metering lever, or you may have a minor air leak (If it has a separate pulse hose they can harden up and then leak) - can also be caused by a bad or incorrect spark plug or wrong plug gap. Problem specifically is in your idle transition ports where it feeds fuel through idle circuit as throttle is opening but before it starts sucking fuel out the high speed jet. Could also be the transition ports in carb are plugged (they are very tiny and almost invisible even if you know what and where exactly to look for.)

Could also have a pinhole in fuel line, plugged fuel filter (May as well give it a good tune-up!) or diaphragm vents plugged with sawdust. (Not common but possible if it is oily dust and allowed to harden into a rock)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bill18163 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:59 pm

Well I got it running like it is supposed to. All my fault that I had it screwed up. I was using the saw yesterday and because it would not run right I was just trying hit or miss adjustments and I forgot there are three needle screws that you have to adjust. One of those screws is in a recess hole through the handle of the saw and I completely forgot about it because it's hard to see. I think it's the low speed screw. Well when I took the time today to access the repair manual after reading some of the suggestions from the board I realized what I had done and I've got it running fine now. Thanks guys. You got me onto the right path with your suggestions.
On another note. I have a Husky 445 chain saw that I keep at my camp and I am having problems starting it once it warms up. I have not been able to find a service repair manual for this saw and was wondering if anyone has a link to where I can find one?
bill18163

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:19 am

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby grunt » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:32 pm

bill18163 wrote: On another note. I have a Husky 445 chain saw that I keep at my camp and I am having problems starting it once it warms up. I have not been able to find a service repair manual for this saw and was wondering if anyone has a link to where I can find one?

This web site has a manual for the Husky model 444. Maybe it is close enough to help with your saw. File number W8700001 has the 444 manual.
http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Husqvar ... r-Manuals/

I hope this helps.
grunt

Return to Technical Discussion Forum