• Advertisement

LCT 136 Horizontal Valve Clearance

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

LCT 136 Horizontal Valve Clearance

Postby NO0C » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:05 pm

LCT PLMHK14400124PBPQSTUV3E2M 136cc horizontal engine.

Any tips on adjusting the valve clearance? Any of you that have done one will understand what a PITA it is with the rocker arm to valve stem gap being well below the planar surface of the cylinder head. I tried a straight feeler gauge as well as some designed for setting valves (45° bend). All seem to bind and make it hard to feel when it’s correct.

Maybe it’s just me, but I had a heck of a time getting them set and I’m still a little iffy about how close they are.

Any tips? Larger bend in feeler gauge?

Thanks to all.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: LCT 136 Horizontal Valve Clearance

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:05 pm

Nope - only way is with feeler gauges although I have a couple cheapo sets from HF that I use when I need to "bend" a tip or cut/grind the edges to narrow them down so I don't mess up my precision gauges - basically got to "roll your own"

*Edit* You could get pretty close if you know the exact thread pitch (1mm probably per turn) and can guesstimate how many fractions of a turn to get the clearance you need (in mm) - That is how some of those adjustment tools work they made for ATV engines - I made myself one for Briggs OHV engines - it 's a "thru-socket" to fit the lock nut, and a bit that fits the exact size of the adjusting screw so you can turn fractions of a turn and snug up the nut all one-handed while working feeler gauge with the other hand. :)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby NO0C » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Thank you bgsengine. That's what I was afraid of. Next time I have the cover off I'll size the stud. I'm guessing they might be 4mm which is probably .7 mm pitch or 5mm which is probably .8 mm pitch. The turn method just might work pretty well.

Thanks
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:12 pm

Now I feel better. I am not only with feeler gauge problems today. I got a 4 cycle that burns 50:1 2 fuel mixture that I need 1/4 wide feelers for. First one I have seen here in the shop.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:56 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Now I feel better. I am not only with feeler gauge problems today. I got a 4 cycle that burns 50:1 2 fuel mixture that I need 1/4 wide feelers for. First one I have seen here in the shop.

Shindaiwa, by any chance? They have a handy adjustment tool for the C4 part number 91098
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:34 pm

Actually a Stihl FS90R and had to cut an old PM feeler gauge to 1/8" wide and not 1/4" like I thought.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum