• Advertisement

Air filter oil viscosity

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Air filter oil viscosity

Postby bgsengine » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:59 pm

Merkava_4 wrote:bgsengine,

Which chemical do you prefer using to clean the foam air filters?

I've been using straight Purple Power and although is works very well,
it seems to be harsh on the foam material. What I need is some kind
of water soluble cleaner that's a little easier on the foam.

I'm with Mek-a-nik - we'll replace them as soon as clean 'em - they're cheap but when they do get cleaned we just use the parts washer (mineral spirits) squeeze dry and re-oil and they're good to go - but usually if they do need cleaning, they get replaced - the nicer ones often can be just brushed off with a toothbrush and re-oiled.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:34 am

The only foam air filters I have any experience are those on push mowers. By time they come into the shop they are usually too far gone to be cleaned and I just replace them. For ones I do get to clean I use a good degreasing soap like Dawn and water.

It has been kinda strange this year though as I have yet to see a push mower brought into the shop. The only one I have work on is a Yazoo that I rebuilt for my own use.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Matt » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:05 pm

my 2 cents on this is transmission oil or bar oil, its dye(red), allows you to both see where and how much your putting on the foam, been using it on all cotton/foam air filters for ever it seems. Over oiling causes a mess from dripping all over the place, it wont hurt anything but sure can get a customer into a panic that you screwed something up or just makes the machine ugly when the dust sets on the residue. good luck
Matt
Forum Regular

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum