• Advertisement

Battery Terminal Corrosion

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Battery Terminal Corrosion

Postby Mek-a-nik » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:34 pm

I have a full set of Ford tools. (With wooden handles, measured in ounces.)
:-)
"The internal combustion orchestra; sweet music."
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:24 pm

Mek-a-nik wrote:I have a full set of Ford tools. (With wooden handles, measured in ounces.)
:-)

Yup - Out of my original set of Ford tools, I now only have the BFH left over - all the others been replaced by compo-cast deadblows
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Franz » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:31 am

Fluid Film is 3 parts lanolin, 2 parts mineral oil and 7 parts mineral spirits by volume. Feel free to substitute Marvel MO for the mineral oil.

In the case of batterys, a good smear of lanolin to cover case to terminal deficiencies works well.

Lanolin is also a wonderful corrosion inhibitor for wire connections.

Lanolin has been the go to product for all the years since men put to sea in boats.
Franz
Forum Regular

Postby Fulltilt » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:53 pm

Some of the corrosion away from the battery ( and at the battery for that matter) has to do with all the dissimilar metals reacting with moisture.
Ever closely check out the battery cables,? Some are actually copper clad aluminum. So you have tin plated steel cable lugs, alum. wire, zinc plated studs, copper plated studs, cadmium plated studs, etc., a whole smorgasbord of metals = Corrosion!
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby madmantrapper » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:22 am

I find coating the terminals with RTV prior to bolting together does a very good job at stopping corrosion. I had one where the battery leakage was so bad, the terminals would corrode so bad between mowings that it would not start. After coating with RTV problem was gone.
madmantrapper
Guide

Postby johnl_ » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:29 am

I hate battery terminal corrosion. For me it's on cars/trucks. I bought a truck with the original battery still in it. The corrosion on the positive post had gotten into the positive cable itself, bulging it out, was full of white crystaline powder. It broke in half when I removed it. Replaced the cable and went with a sealed type battery, Optima. It lasted about 6 years, but never re-corroded. They are expensive, but worth it just to not have the corrosion. From what I understand it's the hydrogen gas that unsealed lead-acid batteries give off that causes it. Overcharging causes more of the gas to be released. My dad uses cheaper unsealed lead-acid batteries on his truck, I wire brushed all the corrosion crap off and sprayed the cleaned terminals and various connections with permatex battery sealer, and it kept the corrosion from coming back, didn't think it would work, but it did.
johnl_

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum