• Advertisement

Odd Wiring...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Odd Wiring...

Postby Mek-a-nik » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:15 pm

...at least it seems to me.
1998 JD LT133 Kohler CV13S (Spec available, if needed.)
Unregulated charging system, w/ headlights.
Customer complained of battery dying and brake pedal safety switch worked intermittently.
Engine running, it only had battery voltage and showed no amperage. Jiggling the brake pedal caused the starter to work intermittenly, as described.
Ran Kohler's checks on the stator and they mentioned a green wire on the stator connector that is referred to as an optional "brake wire". (This machine was so equipped.) It got me thinking (uh, oh!) and I tried a new brake pedal safety switch.
Both problems gone. I've never seen a machine that had the charging system going through a safety. I've only seen start and ignition circuits through safeties.
"The internal combustion orchestra; sweet music."
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Odd Wiring...

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:08 pm

If I understand correctly it is braking system using the engine stator as an engine electric brake similar those mechanical engine brake bands to stop the engine quickly.

Exactly how it works through the safety I don't know as I have work on that has it but since see a fair number JD in the area I probably see in the near future. cIt would require me seeing a electrical diagram of mower that has this system. Maybe BGS has seen this system.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:11 pm

Havent seen it but I believe you are correct, KE4 - simple electrical theory - turn the stator into an electromagnetic clutch opposing the engine rotation

From Kohler's Patent application : (http://www.google.com/patents/US5895338)
The alternator on an engine has a set of stator coils which are connected to supply current to power accessories and current for a battery charger when the engine is running. When the ignition is turned off, a braking switch is closed which short circuits the stator coils. The resulting high current in the stator coils produces a braking torque on the engine shaft that brings it and any attached implement to a rapid halt.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:32 pm

I know that an older GM alternator free turns by hand until the rotor is powered and then you might be able to turn it depending how much voltage and current is applied.

That was back when I was keeping old '73 IH alternator working. I keep glazing the commuter rings due high current demand of 250 watt linear and those 100 watt driving lights. But those days of high powered lights are gone; just too much traffic in what was once open countryside. That was 105A version and I know there are larger versions now.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum