• Advertisement

Husqvarna 445 Chain Saw

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Husqvarna 445 Chain Saw

Postby bill18163 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:04 pm

I bought this saw a year ago. Starting the saw isn't too hard but I had a lot of trouble starting it after it warmed up. It was driving me nuts. One of the things you were told to do to start the saw when it was warmed up was to hit the primer bulb six times. Now who would hit the primer bulb six times to start a warm saw? To make a long story short I knuckled under and followed the starting procedure outlined for the saw and it seems to work. You set the saw in choke, then hit the primmer six times, then push the choke lever down one notch which keeps it in high idle position and that does seam to work. Crazy huh??? Anyway, I have a question. Before I started to follow the starting procedure I was getting the idea that maybe I should tinker with the carb screw settings. Surprise, there are no screw driver slots in the screws. They look like maybe a very fine torx head type of screw. You would need a socket to fit down over the top of the screws to engage the torx arrangement to be able to turn the screws. Since I have been able to start the saw using the odd way you are told to in the instructions I don't need this tool right now. But I might in the future. Does anyone know where I can buy this tool?
bill18163

Advertisement

Re: Husqvarna 445 Chain Saw

Postby bgsengine » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:15 pm

bill18163 wrote:I bought this saw a year ago. Starting the saw isn't too hard but I had a lot of trouble starting it after it warmed up. It was driving me nuts. One of the things you were told to do to start the saw when it was warmed up was to hit the primer bulb six times. Now who would hit the primer bulb six times to start a warm saw? To make a long story short I knuckled under and followed the starting procedure outlined for the saw and it seems to work. You set the saw in choke, then hit the primmer six times, then push the choke lever down one notch which keeps it in high idle position and that does seam to work. Crazy huh??? Anyway, I have a question. Before I started to follow the starting procedure I was getting the idea that maybe I should tinker with the carb screw settings. Surprise, there are no screw driver slots in the screws. They look like maybe a very fine torx head type of screw. You would need a socket to fit down over the top of the screws to engage the torx arrangement to be able to turn the screws. Since I have been able to start the saw using the odd way you are told to in the instructions I don't need this tool right now. But I might in the future. Does anyone know where I can buy this tool?

Only from a dealer that is willing to flaunt federal law - It is illegal for dealers to sell those tools, but you're probably looking for the "Splined" adjustment tool - plenty of them on Amazon and ebay

But dealers do run the risk of a fine from the EPA up to $3,750 each for selling them.

Your Husqvarna is just a glorified Poulan and will use many of the same parts, carburetor and adjustment tools as a box store poulan.. so those tools are commonly available from a lot of places, but just be aware that you run the risk - however infinitesimal it may be - that the EPA goons could come by and seize your chainsaw for Emissions Tampering - odds of that happening are about as good as buying the winning powerball lottery ticket two drawings in a row... but the fact remains it COULD happen.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:39 am

I haven't had this problem any of 445/450 chainsaw that I service here including my own 450.

When your having to prime when warm are you getting a lot air at first? If so it does sounds like the engine is running a little too lean cause excess heat build up in the carburetor compartment causing the fuel to vaporize in carburetor and fuel lines while sitting non running.

I had a Husky 141le in the shop earlier this year that was running so lean that it literally melted carburetor adapter and the ignition coil.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bill18163 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:09 am

It doesn't look like it's getting air at first in the primer bulb when it is warm. But it is not a full bulb when you first start pumping. It takes about three pumps to get the bulb full or part full. Kind of hard to tell. I just ordered the tool off of Amazon so maybe I will do some adjusting when I get it. What is your thought on the partially full primer bulb?
bill18163

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:12 am

A partially fill primer bulbs are quite normal.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby thomd51 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:31 pm

when you use the primer you'r only pumping fuel through the carb and back to the tank, none of the fuel gets into the throat of the carb. it just makes sure the metering chamber is full of fresh fuel. TOM.
thomd51
Forum Regular

Postby dougand3 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:03 am

Here is an example of the 4 most used carb tools. But I'd say the vast majority used are the 7 splined. And you can find single tools for much cheaper than $16 each here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mudder-2-Cycle- ... 463f415c81
dougand3
Forum Regular

Postby Arkie » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:36 am

Hard to start when hot chainsaw: (assuming it runs somewhat normal when it finally starts)

First replace the spark plug with a new one of correct type and set the gap at specs and also check the muffler spark arrester screen or the muffler for a restriction at same time. (a muffler when it first starts getting restricted will allow the saw to start somewhat ok cold and the longer the saw is run the more erratic it usually becomes and eventually not idle good or die and won't start until cooled off.

If it won't start after new spark plug change out and muffler inspection try squirting little tiny bit gas into the carb throat and crank engine with throttle wide open and it should produce a pop or promise within few cranks and if no go check the ignition real close. If it goes ok with a prime check the carb (install a kit) and intake for small air leak. Takes hotter spark to start a hot engine vs a cold engine. If a prime won't start it remove the spark plug and if it's wet suspect weak ignition. Check the cooling fins and make sure they are not clogged with sawdust and making the block get too hot.
Check the compression cold vs hot! ;)

Let us know what ya determine?
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby HondaG100 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:52 pm

Do you have a hack saw or a die grinder with a cutoff wheel? Cut a screwdriver slot into the top face of the adjustment screws. It doesn't matter that you also have to slot the aluminum guard around the screws. I have gotten equipment in that had this done to it so I am not the first to think of it. The EPA go fly a kite.
HondaG100
Guide

Postby Arkie » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:27 am

HondaG100 wrote:Do you have a hack saw or a die grinder with a cutoff wheel? Cut a screwdriver slot into the top face of the adjustment screws. It doesn't matter that you also have to slot the aluminum guard around the screws. I have gotten equipment in that had this done to it so I am not the first to think of it. The EPA go fly a kite.

I've also seen slot for small screwdriver were cut by someone in the top face end of the adjusting jets probably using a dremel tool.
Slip a small vac hose or shrink tubing over the end of the adjusting tool to keep it on the slot for adjusting if trying to adjust while eq is running and vibrating. Do a emissions test after you get it running properly and place restrictors on the adjustments so as someone won't get it improperly adjusted in the future. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum