• Advertisement

GX390 Carbon Canister

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

GX390 Carbon Canister

Postby plpitts1 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:04 am

Hello,
I have an EG6500 Generator, Honda motor GX390 ED3 GCBDT-1378447, runs great. From time to time the carbon canister leaks gas. I see that it is connected to the fuel tank. I cannot seem to find any information on how it works, or if this is common. I’m guessing that it only leaks when it has been bounced around a bit. But like I said, cannot seem to find much info on it. Don’t know what to do about it. Please help
Thanks,
Pat
"Well, if they pay me off in tortillas, I'm gonna shoot 'em right in the eye"
plpitts1
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: GX390 Carbon Canister

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:02 am

The system is basically a fuel vapor recovery system like the early style systems used on automobiles. Fuel vapors from the tank is vented into canister where the charcoal absorbs them. When the engine is running fresh air is drawn across the charcoal in canister by the intake system and the charcoal releases the vapors so engine can burn them.

It does sounds like fuel is being bounced up into vent hose at the tank. If what your describing only occurs during transportation I would not be too concerned about it unless it excessive. If this is occurring during normal operation then I would be a little concerned as it could be fire hazard in not as well ventilated areas. Either way I would check the motor mounts to sure they are not broken. Just my opinion though.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plpitts1 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:51 am

Thanks for the info, yes it only happens during transportation and I would not consider it excessive. I will check the motor mounts, good advice. It is a rental unit and these seem to get knocked around a bit.
Again, thanks
Pat
plpitts1
Forum Regular

Postby thomd51 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:21 pm

is your oil level high ? could be carb flooding TOM.
thomd51
Forum Regular

Postby plpitts1 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:43 am

Thanks for the reply, Oil level is good.
Pat
plpitts1
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum