• Advertisement

Slow weeks verses good

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Slow weeks verses good

Postby Luffydog » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:56 pm

Just setting here wondering what would be good profit on slow weeks Verses being a busy week. Not trying to be nosy at all just wondering what weeks are good versed the bad weeks. Anybody like to make any comments on the weeks or days like to hear but if not completely understood. Like I said not trying to be nosy at all just wondering good days versed the bad. Thanks for any comments.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Slow weeks verses good

Postby bgsengine » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:40 am

Luffydog wrote:Just setting here wondering what would be good profit on slow weeks Verses being a busy week. Not trying to be nosy at all just wondering what weeks are good versed the bad weeks. Anybody like to make any comments on the weeks or days like to hear but if not completely understood. Like I said not trying to be nosy at all just wondering good days versed the bad. Thanks for any comments.

on a slow week, *ANY* profit is a good profit
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby HondaG100 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:10 am

What is this "slow week" thing?
HondaG100
Guide

Postby okie » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:02 pm

HondaG100 wrote:What is this "slow week" thing?

Sounds like someone bragging. :popcorn:

Travis :usa:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:56 pm

Personally I usually don't pay a lot attention to daily or weekly profits as most jobs have parts on order for at least a week. It is the net monthly figures that counts most. There are days that goes negative and days to go positive.

Since I moved last fall I had a terrible 1st qtr, fair 2nd qtr except for June which was in the red for the month due shop equipment failures, this qtr has been good so far. But this last week I had only new job to come in. I got 8 jobs scheduled to be completed this week with parts coming in Monday.

I think I have done fairly well considering the problems I have had the last few years to have currently a 37% net profit before taxes for the year. It is good profit margin but just not a living yet. I got to get the volume up considerably next year.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:55 pm

About the same here on the shop seems like everything wanted to get lazy and not work sometimes I know how they feel. Air compressor went then air gun then the back up went down tires on trailer blowing then the torque wrench just seems like it all happened at once but not if that makes sense. Profits down this year but raining a lot here so they will be coming in soon with the grass growing fast. If it rains here just a garrantee another we get busy. Good luck to all and the best.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby HondaG100 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:42 pm

okie wrote:

My little shop probably does less business than any of the professional shops here. I have a full time job and a summer part time job besides the repair work I do so there is rarely any slow time for me. I do the rebuilds and finding or manufacturing of odd parts that the local full time shops cannot do economically and that work leads in many directions sometimes. Keeps life interesting.
HondaG100
Guide

Postby okie » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:59 pm

HondaG100 wrote:
okie wrote:

My little shop probably does less business than any of the professional shops here. I have a full time job and a summer part time job besides the repair work I do so there is rarely any slow time for me. I do the rebuilds and finding or manufacturing of odd parts that the local full time shops cannot do economically and that work leads in many directions sometimes. Keeps life interesting.

I also believe in keeping busy and keeping flexible. I do have a handicap now. I have to drag old age with me every where I go. :oops:

John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby Mek-a-nik » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:53 am

I've always heard that major retailers make their profits the 2 months before Christmas. I make most of mine in April, May, and part of June. That's my Christmas season. It levels off and is "normal" until about October. Then I do some snowblower work, and miscellaneous equipment repairs, along with the 'Honey Dew list", until Spring.
I couldn't tell you what my profit margin is. I just know how much money is in the bank come tax time. :D
"The internal combustion orchestra; sweet music."
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Postby Mek-a-nik » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:55 am

Okie, old age is starting to follow me, too. I just had to shut down because I hurt my shoulder. I think it hurt more to call customers and tell them I can't work.
"The internal combustion orchestra; sweet music."
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum