• Advertisement

Briggs 09P700 Primer hook-up

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs 09P700 Primer hook-up

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:19 pm

I got in my first Briggs 9p700 series with primer. Someone else have been working it in the past. From what I can the primer system is disconnected completely; at least according to the IPL there should be primer line. Does the primer line connect to bottom of fuel tank? There is what appears to a sealed off nipple on the tank.

The engine currently starts fine after I got all the water out of the fuel system and drain the overfilled engine. Someone had fill the fuel with water and overfilled the crankcase with oil.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs 09P700 Primer hook-up

Postby bgsengine » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:53 pm

KE4AVB wrote:I got in my first Briggs 9p700 series with primer. Someone else have been working it in the past. From what I can the primer system is disconnected completely; at least according to the IPL there should be primer line.
Hard to say without type number.
Does the primer line connect to bottom of fuel tank? There is what appears to a sealed off nipple on the tank.
Nope - that's for EVAP Emissions for optional manufacturer supplied vapor recovery - if it does not have a remote vapor recovery tank (charcoal canister) then it would be built in to the fuel cap (Expensive suckers!) and the fitting for remote vapor recovery is sealed with that plug. The few I have worked on with the primer in the middle of the air cleaner box, honestly I never even noticed a primer line, I think they prime through a passage in the carburetor body via the air filter base.. never really thought much of it as all the ones Ive had in to work on have not been messed with! :) (lucky me!)

The engine currently starts fine after I got all the water out of the fuel system and drain the overfilled engine. Someone had fill the fuel with water and overfilled the crankcase with oil.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:24 pm

type 0009-F1.

I think your right about how it primes. Sorta like the others that just pushes air into the fuel bowl, just that there two air ports. Maybe smaller one is some kinda metering port (bleed off).

I see that I need to at least a primer bulb to stock in case I need one quickly.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:26 am

A note to anyone working on these engines the carburetor is a plastic composite. It is noted that the bowl screw need to be inserted in the hole and turn backwards until they jump the current threads and then lightly tighten normally. Over tightening or not starting as mention will cause strip out; therefore requiring a new carburetor if you can't install an oversized screw. Also the fuel bowl only fits one way.

Whoever worked on the engine that I have in the shop had already stripped one of the two bowl screws out. They also installed a heavy hose clamp on the breather tube.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby kyfarmer » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:56 pm

Tube goes from primer bulb to little white barb fitting just above fuel inlet on carb. There is a U shaped cut out in the carb bracket to allow access to the fitting.
kyfarmer

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:19 pm

kyfarmer wrote:Tube goes from primer bulb to little white barb fitting just above fuel inlet on carb. There is a U shaped cut out in the carb bracket to allow access to the fitting.

Then that fitting and line would be for the air cleaner base with the side mounted primer not the center mounted version I have here.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum