• Advertisement

Briggs 12H802 coil placement

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs 12H802 coil placement

Postby johnl_ » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:37 pm

There was no spark with the old coil, bought the replacement #590454, looks a little different than original, I think they changed designs, and it is the correct part. Now have spark and seems to run well. Question is, the new coil had mounting holes bigger than the bolts that allowed side-ways (also has up and down, needed for air gap setting) movement of about 1/16 of an inch. Seems to me this side ways free play would effect the timing. I mounted it centered. Does it matter? Full left, full right, or centered? Seems iffy in terms of design.

john
johnl_

Advertisement

Re: Briggs 12H802 coil placement

Postby HondaG100 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:10 pm

1/16th would make approximately 1 degree of difference in your timing. If it runs well leave it.
HondaG100
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:06 pm

Surprised it didn't come with a fortune cookie. Wait until you got to use a die grinder to install some of the new coils on v-twins.

Coil to flywheel air gap remains the same at 0.010 - 0.012"

There is one service note in reference to the new Chinese coil. It says the new air vane must if installed on engine engines built before 101230xx if the 590454 is installed.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Mr Mower Man » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:02 pm

I'm not a fan of Briggs & Stratton's idea to redesign the modules for the V-twins, such that I have to modify the cylinder to make it fit. It's enough to make a feller wanna use an aftermarket part! :shock:
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:21 am

johnl_ wrote:There was no spark with the old coil, bought the replacement #590454, looks a little different than original, I think they changed designs, and it is the correct part. Now have spark and seems to run well. Question is, the new coil had mounting holes bigger than the bolts that allowed side-ways (also has up and down, needed for air gap setting) movement of about 1/16 of an inch. Seems to me this side ways free play would effect the timing. I mounted it centered. Does it matter? Full left, full right, or centered? Seems iffy in terms of design.

john

To answer your question, you want to keep it centered as best as possible.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby Arkie » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:15 pm

Mr Mower Man wrote:I'm not a fan of Briggs & Stratton's idea to redesign the modules for the V-twins, such that I have to modify the cylinder to make it fit. It's enough to make a feller wanna use an aftermarket part! :shock:

I've been using the aftermarket magnetos for the Briggs twins on my own engines for about 2 years with no failures and bolt right in with no mods. The NAPA ones are about $70 with 2 year warranty if you keep your receipts and hold your mouth correctly when trying to get a warranty replacement.

I can buy 3 or 4 of the aftermarket type for (about $14.50 with free shipping) same price or less than one Briggs OEM or Napa type. :D :popcorn:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum