• Advertisement

Husqvarna cement saw trouble at high RPM.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Husqvarna cement saw trouble at high RPM.

Postby albert611 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:11 pm

Little help with Husqvarna cement saw k970 96647-3900095 sn 2011-3900095 with walbro Rwj5-1 carburetor. Saw idles ok when you start to cut wants to boug down at high rpms new carburetor thought this was problem, just acts like it's starving for fuel, checked exhaust. Thanks for any help out there.
albert611

Advertisement

Re: Husqvarna cement saw trouble at high RPM.

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:43 pm

Looked at an image of the carburetor. I couldn't tell if it is adjustable or not. If it is adjustable then try returning the H mixture.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby albert611 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks, tried that brand new carb, turned jets in and set to standard no good tried different adjustments no good. will not hit high rpm without load yet alone cut. guess i can do i leak down unless someone can spot smothing i am overlooking.
albert611

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:24 am

Do you have a spare ignition coil on hand? It could be a failing trigger circuit in the coil. I had a Homelite a couple years that would idle all day but would not accelerate pass mid throttle with an occasional backfire.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:52 pm

Be sure that the H jet is not out too far. try turning in the H jet about 1/2turn CW from where it sounds good or where it is now.

If a fuel line is sucking air the saw will sometimes still idle but not go at High.
Also some saws have a screen or filter in the CARB and they will idle ok but not accelerate.

If a crank seal is leaking the saw will usually have a erratic idle, but not always. Do a vac/pressure test eventually.
Make sure it has the correct spark plug and it's tight.
Had saw awhile back that had those issues and it was the filter in the carb clogged. Had another that the fuel line from tank to carb had a small crack. (both saws would idle good but not carry a load in the cut)
A over rich H jet (to far CCW out) will sometimes also do the same on some of the big saws. ;)
Last edited by Arkie on Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:27 pm

Arkie wrote:A lean H jet (to far CCW out) will sometimes also do the same on some of the big saws.

If I not mistaken these mixture screws should be RH threaded and would enrich and not lean it by turning CCW. Personally I haven't seen left handed versions yet but knows they might be out there.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:24 am

KE4AVB wrote:
Arkie wrote:A over rich H jet (to far CCW out) will sometimes also do the same on some of the big saws.

If I not mistaken these mixture screws should be RH threaded and would enrich and not lean it by turning CCW. Personally I haven't seen left handed versions yet but knows they might be out there.

You are correct: (thanks)
I edited for a correction.

Main thing is try carefully adjusting the High jet by 1/2 turn increments and test under load, (sometimes just a 1/2 turn of the H jet will make a big difference when under load) but do not leave the jets set overlean (too for in) on finals. (usually mentioned in final adjustment manufacturer procedures to not leave the jets adjusted too lean can result in a scored piston due to lack of lubrication and or too high rpm's)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:10 am

albert611 wrote:Little help with Husqvarna cement saw k970 96647-3900095 sn 2011-3900095 with walbro Rwj5-1 carburetor. Saw idles ok when you start to cut wants to boug down at high rpms new carburetor thought this was problem, just acts like it's starving for fuel, checked exhaust. Thanks for any help out there.

Did you actually pull the muffler and check the exh. port in the cyl. , or just check the screen?
It could be the coil, as was mentioned.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby albert611 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:49 pm

Thanks, all great ideas, might take a while to track down a coil I can do all the other things I have a leak down tester, will let you know.
albert611

Return to Technical Discussion Forum