• Advertisement

Chainsaw woes

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Chainsaw woes

Postby tuffnell » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:36 pm

Power Mac chainsaw by McCulloch
PM325Av-16, 35cc
Model 22600035-61
Serial 98A170-000389
15 to 20 yrs old
New Champion spark plug RDJ7Y, gap .025

After 1 tank of fuel is used and refilled, the primer bulb won’t push gas to carb. it just won't start.
Let it sit for 24 hours and the primer bulb will push gas to the carb and motor starts fine , will rev good and it cuts good.
I have always run the motor until there is no more fuel in the carb.
Use premium gas with Sta-Bil.
I always store the saw in its’ carrying case, with an oily rag inside to prevent any rusting.
Hasn’t got a lot of hours on the motor, some years it was never used.
Was used about a week ago and ran until dry.
Primarily used to cut off broken tree branches.
I welcome any suggestions and Thank you.
tuffnell
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Chainsaw woes

Postby bgsengine » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:04 pm

pinhole in fuel lines? - for its age and lack of use, id start with replacing all the fuel lines anyhow.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Luffydog » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:36 am

Vent maybe stopped up. Cap vent or a duck bill vent possible. After u let it sit then then works fine after pressure goes Down.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:05 am

Are you sure the primer is connected correctly? Kinda unusual for primer to be pushing thru the carburetor most times they are use to evac air from the carburetor and to pull fresh fuel mix into it.

Unable to find any parts IPLs for this saw. Do you have a copy of it there? I know the original McCullough company has been out business since 1999. Husqvarna took it over but doesn't make parts for the older stuff.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:42 pm

parts might be hard to find and expensive for the old McCulloch, unless it's just fuel lines and bulb as bsengine says.

You might try this link as some McCulloch guys hang out in this area and can sometimes steer you towards some service info and parts, but You might want to consider getting a later model saw if you only use it every once in awhile for trimming limbs. Just a few of the vintage parts will add up to more than another good reliable replacement saw will cost. (I've got some old McCullochs and if you don't know how to find good used parts and really like to piddle with them with lots of patience they are a pain in the AXE. :popcorn:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/f ... hainsaw.9/
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby tuffnell » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:33 pm

Thanks for the info guys, but I think I'll have a look at the fuel lines as suggested by bsengine.
As you press the primer bulb gradually fills with fuel until full at that point the motor starts and runs fine.
But once it is hot and after a refill the primer bulb does nothing.
No one has touched this motor so all lines should be in their proper place.
Thanks again.
tuffnell
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum