• Advertisement

briggs

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

briggs

Postby Luffydog » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:34 pm

have a briggs 31h777-0235-e1 04021620 the issue is it wont turn over fast enough to crank. well this is what happened to end up here. mowing his yard going along and he said it started running wide open for no reason. this is what i have done so far and have came up with as far as other problems. after getting it to run and verify it was running wide open throttle. i didnt a static gov. adjustment no change. after ajusting the valves so it would even crank over i found that it did run wide open. then done the gov. adjustment same thing. shut it off then tried to recrank with same hard to start issues again. after getting it to idle i could here clanking and banging and all kinds of stuff. came to the issue that it might be the cam and crank shafts worn out. i think it went into an over rev and caused some damage internal to cam or governor or crank or all. any thoughts on this issue would help but thinking it is going to the scrap pile with no looking back. thanks for your thoughts and replies.. :bricks:
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: briggs

Postby 38racing » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:39 pm

could the wide open run be a loose throttle plate? I had that once. And the hard crank can sometimes be a bad engine/chassis ground connection. Had that once too.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:55 pm

Did check the throttle plate appears to be ok. Also I forgot to mention I did check the flywheel key it is good. I forgot to look for a good ground. I always miss that one thing I guess it is called tunnel vision. Thanks for the ground idea I'll give it a check in the morning. Thanks for the reply.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:54 am

After verifying you got a good power I would pull the sump and check.

Just a thought here as it sounds like the cam decompressor failed and part of it jammed the governor. These 793880 cams are bad to break the decompressor or have simply fall apart. I normally keep one hand as I have replaced several of them for fail decompressors but I am out of stock as it getting close to my vendor's restocking sale.

As for tunnel vision, it happens to all of us at times. Take a few minutes break and clear your mind of those racing thoughts. I did same when I first started working on engines. For a while I use a check sheet that I made up of things that should be checked. I now approach every job as if as someone played technician even though they had no idea of what they were doing. It's the thought "I got set of tools I can fix anything attitude"
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:39 am

to let u know i got up this moring and checked the ground before i forgot to because i have a problem forgetting and yes it has a good ground. yeah i was also thinking about the acr last night too butwhen i would adjust the valves and when you cranked it over they would be out again when i checked them. dont think this unit worth going into at this time. this is just one of them yard sale mowers that he found that ran good for 4yrs and now bang clank. but you never know if he wants to or not kinda like bark on a tree. hahaha thanks everybody ill keep you posted as i go along. as for just starting out i have been doing this for a while now just every once in awhile i just get ahead on myself and forget a step or two in the chart. believe it or not this is the first time i have ran into if this is it the decompressor or acr being bad. sometimes those test for mst,kohler,kawasaki dont plan for the real world as far as things you might see or run into. kinda reminds me of when i was a cop.... thanks again
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum