• Advertisement

Gravely Model L question.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Gravely Model L question.

Postby bobodu » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:25 pm

KE4AVB wrote:There is couple questions though which is it 5/16 or 3/8 before? Most the repair manuals have it at 5/16" but the convertible 76 has it as 3/8. The other question how do tell which 7.6 I have?

I don't know what you are asking......Head bolts??? There is damned little difference between ANY of those engines and God knows what has been done to one through 70 years. Minor things like redesigned valve tubes and tappets. Carbs and mags were even changed mid year. They didn't really make different 7.6s.....not like a1 and a2....
This is a 1947 I saved.....still have this engine.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:02 pm

It was the Mag timing setup. 5/16 or 3/8 before TDC but I got answer from MTF today that they are not that picky and either would so I put in the middle @ 11/32 BDTC. Smoked like a freight train at first. Now after several starts it is only leaking oil out the head.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:02 pm

Got customer authorization to go inside the top end to investigate the smoking problem. Well the news there isn't too good. Cylinder wall rust pitted. plenty of excess oil, bad head gasket plus bad rings.

Current cylinder is unusable as it is already been honed at .030 over. New cylinder not available per Ariens and found one used one found on Fleabay but I has already had rust on it too. P&S website indicates they can get one but I waiting on return email to verify availability and condition. So it looks like a hopeless cause.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:32 pm

Just keep watching ebay....Did you try Richard's?
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:59 pm

bobodu wrote:Just keep watching ebay....Did you try Richard's?

I did look at Richard's same pricing as Jack's...Over $500. P&S list theirs for a little under $300...Just got to confirm availability before quoting the rebuild.

I don't to get lock in to a situation like the last rebuild I did on a '84 Troybilt Horse. Got approval then it took 6 months to get a rod,which the customer bailed after overhaul was completed.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum