• Advertisement

Toro PP 20073 w/ Tecumseh stalls under load

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Toro PP 20073 w/ Tecumseh stalls under load

Postby jwales » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:32 am

Neighbor brought over Toro personal pace model 20073. has a Tecumseh engine. said it started running rough then quit like it ran out of gas. I asked if he check the tank :lol: :lol:

So anyway I thought lets clean the carb and replace fuel line. Started on second pull. Was running a little low on rpm by the sound of it but came up regular sounding engine rpm. Started to mow a little and when I got into some longer grass (but not to long) it ran out of power and quit. Did this several times.

Any thoughts on what to look at further? Thanks
jwales
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Toro PP 20073 w/ Tecumseh stalls under load

Postby bgsengine » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:23 am

Check flywheel key, try a new spark plug (or two, if you use Champion) get a tach and check engine RPM and verify top no load.

That's for starters.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby jwales » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:07 pm

Thanks. I will check those next. I also thought about checking compression too. Would I be looking for a flywheel key that is damaged but not sheared?? I thought if the fly wheel key was sheared I would not be able to sustain engine operation; it would just pop and flutter.
jwales
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:15 pm

It could be partially sheared - just hitting a heavy clump of grass can sometimes be enough to change ignition timing resulting in poor performance - we have had a few mowers come in with the same exact issue - pop flywheel off and key is sheared as little as .005" "dent" in it but it is enough shear to change timing by 5 to 6 degrees - it's enough to run the engine normally until it gets loaded then it's starting to fire too early and acting like an engine brake, but not quite so badly as to backfire or kick back.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:20 pm

Could it be a governor issue?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:18 pm

Low compression with valve is issues. Possible a dead hole at times.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby jwales » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:35 pm

OK. So I have pulled this back out of the shed....neighbor decided to buy a new one. I have run the carb through the Ultra sonic cleaner four times, very clean. Replaced flywheel key, but old one did not look bad. Near new (but working) spark plug. Took the air filter off, primed the carb and a quick shot of starting fluid for good measure and started on first pull. It ran/revved a little high for maybe 15 to 30 seconds and then came down to what I would consider normal operating mode. (I do not have a tach to measure this.) I Let the engine warm up and then took it into the grass (not long grass so not an extra load by any means). It started losing RPM as I began mowing, when I stopped RPM came back up. I did not try and run it through the yard to see if it would quit.

Any ideas on what else I could check?? So far I only have a flywheel key invested (excluding labor) but maybe I am wasting my time.... The mower was generally taken care of but....
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
jwales
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:41 pm

really should invest in a tach - even a cheapo maintenance minder meter with tach would do could be your RPMs are a little low , might need a governor spring, (or adjust speed)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:39 pm

Also if you haven't already download the 3-11hp Tecumseh Service manual. The LV195EA is the same as the LEV120.
http://www.ppeten.com/forums/download/file.php?id=6
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:40 pm

jwales wrote:OK. So I have pulled this back out of the shed....neighbor decided to buy a new one. I have run the carb through the Ultra sonic cleaner four times, very clean. Replaced flywheel key, but old one did not look bad. Near new (but working) spark plug. Took the air filter off, primed the carb and a quick shot of starting fluid for good measure and started on first pull. It ran/revved a little high for maybe 15 to 30 seconds and then came down to what I would consider normal operating mode. (I do not have a tach to measure this.) I Let the engine warm up and then took it into the grass (not long grass so not an extra load by any means). It started losing RPM as I began mowing, when I stopped RPM came back up. I did not try and run it through the yard to see if it would quit.

Any ideas on what else I could check?? So far I only have a flywheel key invested (excluding labor) but maybe I am wasting my time.... The mower was generally taken care of but....
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yeah, check this info out: http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tecumseh-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum