• Advertisement

lawnboy coil issues

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

lawnboy coil issues

Postby 38racing » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:04 am

A friend dropped off an 84 lawnboy model 8125 that would not start. I could not see a spark even with coil kill disconnected. Research indicated that it was an 'open' to run coil. It just so happened that a lawnboy was dropped at our charity steel dumpster that had the same coil. I put it on my friend's and now had spark. I noted that the front leg of the old coil had a lot of crud on it and don't know if that caused the no spark. Anyway mower started and ran but then I found that carb flooded. After needle and seat replacement and float adjust it ran fine. After it sat a couple of days I went to start it again. No go. I can't see a spark on inline tester even with kill wire off and it connected to ground rather than plug. Just coincidence that the coil I found was ready to go? Not sure he'll want to fork out $50 for a replacement. Should I re-try the old coil with the crud removed?
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: lawnboy coil issues

Postby HondaG100 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:16 am

No cheaper Chinese version available? This old a machine justifies cutting corners. Good chance the other mower was in the dumpster because of a failing coil. I would not try the original coil again. My $.02.
HondaG100
Guide

Postby jwales » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:44 am

I don't remember model numbers off the top of my head but I had coil issues on several Lawn Boys, Gold and Silver series, self propelled. New coils were the issue. Owners loved their Lawn Boys so the $40 was not an issue. The other coincidence (or not :lol: ) is the parts department had a handful of them in stock....
jwales
Guide

Postby NO0C » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:08 pm

Sounds like they had a problem with ignition modules. I don't remember the model of the 2-cycle I had that would be at least 20 years old by now. Put it away for the winter and in the spring, it was a no-go. No spark. Replaced the $35 module and away she went.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:44 pm

HondaG100 wrote:No cheaper Chinese version available? This old a machine justifies cutting corners. Good chance the other mower was in the dumpster because of a failing coil. I would not try the original coil again. My $.02.

I am in Canada so we pay the high prices. probably is chinese . List is 71. $50 is with my discount. I have found one on amazon.ca for $20 with free shipping. Likely ships from china.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Walt 2002 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:34 am

Lawn Boy solid state ignition coils have always had problems thru to end. Aftermarket ones can be had for $25 or less. I have used them with good results. Brighten the coil mounting area this sometimes helps. Some people have been able to bake coils at 150 degrees for 30 minutes to an hour and revive them. I have not had good results with that. I would look for more junk LBs and salvage the coils. I recently got 3 from local salvage yard for less than $5, they all worked.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002
Forum Regular

Postby 38racing » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:57 pm

So I ordered a $20 one from amazon which is now in the hands of China post. Meanwhile I moved unit into garage and with door down and darkened I pull the cord and see a nice spark on the inline tester. So I put wire on plug and it starts and runs. push it around lawn just a bit and shut off. Restarts fine. Day or so later I try starting . No spark. disconnect ground lead, still none. Wonder if it's the high tension lead but even so pretty much need to replace the unit.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Walt 2002 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:46 pm

Did you brighten the coil mounting areas on coil and engine as I mentioned above?

Walt Conner
Walt 2002
Forum Regular

Postby 38racing » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:46 pm

Walt 2002 wrote:Did you brighten the coil mounting areas on coil and engine as I mentioned above?

Walt Conner

Actually no so I will do so. I assume that you mean the block post ends and the coil area that mounts on them , not the trigger arm faces.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:13 pm

I went out to do that cleaning. Since tester was on it I pulled the cord. Good spark . same for second pull. Then no spark on bunch of pulls. So I removed coil again and cleaned up the mounting points. Had spark and it ran. Ten minutes later still started. Next test in the morning.
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum