• Advertisement

Stens TruBlue Short term test results.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Stens TruBlue Short term test results.

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:23 am

I recently seen somewhere the mention of the new Stens Trublue fuel line. I purchased a box of the product as it is promoted as 100% ethanol resistance. The current test was for one week (I know not very long) using 10% ethanol with a premium fuel oil. I will continue the soaking for the rest of the month.

Here what I found out so far. The line out the box is a little stiffer the the Tygon F4040 line but soften some once exposed to the fuel mix. The line also changes color and it not as transparent as the new line. Here is photo of new unused line and the line that had soak for one week; new on top.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Stens TruBlue Short term test results.

Postby okie » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:24 pm

So much for "true blue". As loong as it don't leak or melt and plug up carb, and don't become brittle and break especially in cold weather. :popcorn:

Travis :usa:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:32 pm

KE4AVB wrote:I recently seen somewhere the mention of the new Stens Trublue fuel line. I purchased a box of the product as it is promoted as 100% ethanol resistance. The current test was for one week (I know not very long) using 10% ethanol with a premium fuel oil. I will continue the soaking for the rest of the month.

Here what I found out so far. The line out the box is a little stiffer the the Tygon F4040 line but soften some once exposed to the fuel mix. The line also changes color and it not as transparent as the new line. Here is photo of new unused line and the line that had soak for one week; new on top.

I honestly don't understand why people buy that stuff when you can just order a 25 ft box of Briggs 395051R (for non-evap) or 792020 (EPA Compliant) 1/4 I.D. fuel line for most stuff - and Echo has a variety of smaller sizes (90014,90015,90016,90017,90018) for chainsaw and 2-stroke engine uses - Although that Echo bulk line is not EPA compliant line , and then there's the Homelite sizes UP04403 and 9477299 (either in 10 Ft lengths bulk) and most of them can be had for less than the Tygon crap everyone else likes to use.. all of those numbers listed are bulk fuel line sizes from as little as $25-%30 a box the only relatively unique size we'd have to buy Tygon for is the 3/16 I.D. lines used on many Honda and Subaru-Robin engines but then we have a bulk roll of O.E. Honda line sitting around (It's basically red dyed tygon)

EPA compliance is an important point to consider with fuel line as well - most anything built from 2012 and later is likely gonna need non-permeable EPA compliant fuel line wherever it is not routed in a fuel tank.. that is if you care about running afoul of EPA laws.. Have not looked at the Stens line but have to wonder if it is EPA compliant certified?
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:15 pm

Neither one of the Homelite lines listed hold up very well especially the grey line for me. Don't know about those Echo lines but I am looking for better lines in sizes I need for reworks. The Tygon F-4040 have served me well just got to install the correct size.

What I really in need of is fuel line adapters for the smaller 2 cycle lines where I can marry one size to an smaller one. The Stens version is poorly made or at least the ones I received. I end up using a razor blade to clean them up the excess plastic just to keep them from leaking and they don't work with all of the larger 2 cycle lines.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:04 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Neither one of the Homelite lines listed hold up very well especially the grey line for me.
for us, a couple years is good, since I will always recommend replacing fuel lines every couple years - the bulk line is cheap enough that you can sell it at 2x cost and won't hardly make a dent in repair bills - if you get enough of them that you can use up a 10 ft roll in a year's time you're in good shape.
Don't know about those Echo lines but I am looking for better lines in sizes I need for reworks. The Tygon F-4040 have served me well just got to install the correct size.

Echo fuel line sizes:
90014 3mm x 5mm (I.D. x O.D.) BNR 26 ft/box (4x 2000mm sections)
90015 3mm x 6mm (I.D. x O.D.) BNR 26 ft/box (4x 2000mm sections)
90016 3mm x 7mm (I.D. x O.D.) BNR 26 ft/box (4x 2000mm sections)
90017 3mm x 6mm (I.D. x O.D.) TYgon 25 ft/box
90018 2mm x 4mm (I.D. x O.D.) Clear Tygon 25 ft/box
(BNR = Butyl Nitrile Rubber)
What I really in need of is fuel line adapters for the smaller 2 cycle lines where I can marry one size to an smaller one. The Stens version is poorly made or at least the ones I received. I end up using a razor blade to clean them up the excess plastic just to keep them from leaking and they don't work with all of the larger 2 cycle lines.

I will sooner look up and by an OEM fuel line (for the "special sized" ones like 3mm on one end 3/16 on the other, etc) and buy OE line - for Homelite and Weedeater (most of them) it's cheaper to replace the whole tank assembly with lines and filter already installed than the labor time to re-thread a replacement line. (and the new replacement tanks come with a special size Tygon line you just can't find in bulk - Homelite part number 570373029 is the "bulk" version - line long enough for most any need, trimmed to fit) and other than that, I do maintain a few OE Weedeater line kits on hand (for over the counter sales for people that do their own work) so I pretty much have yet to get any machine in where I needed fuel line that one or the other size would not fit , or could not get an OEM line. - have a few boxes of assorted Tygon lines (and Oregon "tygon-like") which are gathering dust... True every once in a great while there might be an "oddball" that needs to be re-worked with some sort of jury-rigged fitting but the OE Homelite ones work fine for most of them (985304001) or for 3/16 or 1/4 lines, use a fuel filter to connect them :-D
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:43 pm

Maybe I just that good at changing the lines but only takes about 10 mins or less except those that you got to split case on. It would be about the same time to do it if your swap complete tank assemblies. I have had customers that want to watch me change lines but I would not show them. I just ask them to come back in about an hour it will be ready. I think I have only sold Homelite tank in last 6 years and it was for a st285BC trimmer that I restored.

Will look into those nitrile rubber lines. Hope they are better than those curly ones the Husqvarna has. I have been having their fuel filters break off the line and the lines turning to mush.

I was sent some clear line to test by my vendor and it turn rock hard in just a few days. It was totally useless for in tank applications

One problem I have had is with the Homelite replacement tanks and lines when used on older trimmers the lines simply will not fit on the carburetor nipples hence the use of line adapters and wire clamps. Sometimes line fit and get loose overnight leaking fuel. I found couple old saved adapters that were the same as I needed, one large end and one small end but I have no idea what 2 cycle trimmer they were removed from. They were in my recovered parts drawers from a few years ago if I did would probably order a dozen or so of them. These adapters also come in handy when someone tried enlarge the tank holes.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:27 pm

KE4AVB wrote:
Will look into those nitrile rubber lines. Hope they are better than those curly ones the Husqvarna has. I have been having their fuel filters break off the line and the lines turning to mush.
They are FAR better than those ones in Husqvarna tanks - PM me your mailing address, I'll be glad to send you some "ends" - got a box full of pieces anywhere from 5 inches to 2 Ft so I could send you some "samples" if you want.

I was sent some clear line to test by my vendor and it turn rock hard in just a few days. It was totally useless for in tank applications

One problem I have had is with the Homelite replacement tanks and lines when used on older trimmers the lines simply will not fit on the carburetor nipples hence the use of line adapters and wire clamps.
which is why I really like the BNR lines from Echo - they have much better "stretchability" - a drop of 2-stroke oil on the nipple and they slide right on and seal real good - they even fit pretty well over most of the old saws, except some of the older Homelites that had the 3/16 (Almost 1/4" at the widest) nipples like on some older Super XL and XL-12 Saws (and a couple Jonsered 90's )
- only problems I see are when the nipples are smaller than 3mm - lines won't fit well there (only ones I have seen that small are the Weedeater ones and I use the OEM Weedeater lines anyway)
Sometimes line fit and get loose overnight leaking fuel. I found couple old saved adapters that were the same as I needed, one large end and one small end but I have no idea what 2 cycle trimmer they were removed from. They were in my recovered parts drawers from a few years ago if I did would probably order a dozen or so of them. These adapters also come in handy when someone tried enlarge the tank holes.

What I do when the lines wont fit the tanks (assuming it is gonna get fixed and no tank available) : If it is a single line hole and enough room to ream it out to 10mm , I'll pop in an Echo 13211504920 single line grommet and then re-lining tanks is easy with bulk 90014 line - works for any tank where you have room - for 2 lines that are close together - if they will fit within a 5/8" diameter circle I can do the same with Echo 13211544330 2-line grommets and 2 pieces of suitable line - or if they would fit in a 7/8" diameter circle, a Homelite 560878002 grommet - then in the future fuel line replacement is as simple as popping out the old grommet and line, re-string a new fuel line and pop it back in.. which is why I like Echo so much - fuel line kits - you can change out the complete fuel system in 2 minutes or less with a pre-assembled RePower Kit from Echo.

Most tanks we replace, however, takes less than 10 minutes to replace them with Homelite machines most of them you have a crankcase cover where you can just loosen screws far enough to pop the tank out off the insulators, pop a new tank in, tighten down screws and connect lines, done. here, 10 minutes of labor is $10 on top of the R&R Time which might get labor up to $20, and then you add the cost of lines, fuel filter, etc. - hard to justify re-stringing a fuel line when a replacement tank with lines, filter, etc costs $12 or so So, it actually kind of is dependent on what your labor rates are at - we don't come cheap ($65/hr, minimum $15 for any repair ticket even if it takes 2 minutes) - which is probably why we don't do too much repair work on the low end $89.95 trimmers and $129 chainsaws any more - repairs frequently cost more than buying a new one.
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:17 pm

BGS, you don't need send the samples as I trust your opinion and experience with the lines, I just working on upgrading my line inventory here as I use up the remaining bulk Tygon lines I brought 3 years ago. I got one size that I have only used a section of one time, not even thinking of replacing it. I just got take some time compare those Echo line sizes to two sizes I am most commonly using here and see what will work for me and then do stock order for next year.

And like you I don't do much low end repairs other than maybe a carb kit, replacement carburetor or just fuel lines. I still do some work on the el cheapies for my larger accounts as it does bring in more profitable business from them. Right now I have time to spare fooling with these cheapies but business did pickup this year during the peak months and won't be it doing it to much longer except during the off season just to keep from being bored.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:08 am

This morning I got chance for an actual install of the Stens 115-508 line that specs as 3/32 ID x 3/16 versa the same size Tygon F4040.

The true OD is actually smaller at 5/32" which doesn't provide the same leak proof seal as Tygon 3/16 OD line does. The line is actually easy to slide in the tank fitting. This makes this unusable in my applications on the AYP, Poulan, and Weedeater equipment. With getting a little softer it will not work on the .080 x .140 as it will close off under the extra tight fit there. If the OD size was as specified then it would have fit and went to field trials.

From these results I will sticking with the Tygon F4040 line for now and re-order a box of replacement line when needed .
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby andybcumming112 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:26 pm

For poulans and weedeater I use 530069599. OEM fuel line. Seems to last longer than the tygon.
andybcumming112

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum