• Advertisement

Fuel mix opinion...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Fuel mix opinion...

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:40 am

I got a Stihl trimmer that I just replaced the carburetor on for not priming. The trimmer had 120 psi when left shop the day before. Customer brings it back late the next day. It now won't start. Has only 93 psi. When I pull the muffler the cylinder and piston are trashed.

Doesn't their fuel on the left appear to have way too little oil in it and when compared to a properly mixed in house fuel on the right. To me it looks a case of straight gassing with a little fuel mix added to cover it up.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Fuel mix opinion...

Postby bgsengine » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:13 am

I would have to agree Although B3C Fuel Solutions has a shop fuel tester kit that includes a way to analyze a fuel sample for approximate oil mix ratio (it is a visual test using some sort of chemical dye, so is based on practice and judgement)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:32 am

Ahhh Something like my saltwater testers (pH, nitrate, Specify gravity, and ammonia); although, I sometimes need to double the chemicals to darken to color enough. It doesn't change the actual color just adds more contrast. And I hate public water when comes to my saltwater tank. I can't afford to lose too many $100 fish because of chlorine.

I may need to get one those testers if I get very many more of these cases. I see if I can find something about them using G search.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dougand3 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:45 pm

Sure looks like straight gas to me. Only logical explanation. Unless some company makes clear 2 cycle oil. Or they used canola oil!
dougand3
Forum Regular

Postby RoyM » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:04 pm

Unless the customer is using a different oil that is that color at the proper mix I would have to agree with you. Have him bring in HIS oil for comparison. I have had that argument. :roll:
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:54 am

RoyM wrote:Unless the customer is using a different oil that is that color at the proper mix I would have to agree with you. Have him bring in HIS oil for comparison. I have had that argument. :roll:

I called my customer asked him to bring in his oil so I can mix a fresh batch of 40:1. Right now I did a mix yesterday of my oil at 80:1 (16oz with 5 ml oil) and fuel appears to be a slightly higher mix ratio (lighter in color).

It looks the customer could use 1 gal mix in a 2 to 2-1/2 container of fuel. I had a customer that did it a couple years ago.

Looks like I going to need to get a hydrometer or find mine I got for my wine making. No telling where I pack it over a year ago for the move. Still would some calculations based pure and a known sample then test the suspect fuel mix and compare readings.

I tried finding the BC3 kit yesterday and had no results even at their site. I did find product in development but it appears that not ready for market as now. It involves test strips that are oil sensitive.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:30 am

KE4AVB wrote:
I tried finding the BC3 kit yesterday and had no results even at their site. I did find product in development but it appears that not ready for market as now. It involves test strips that are oil sensitive.
Oh I see - you have to become a dealer for them http://b3cfuel.com/company/become-a-dealer http://d150v930jvyke6.cloudfront.net/re ... 1412174547
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Walt 2002 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:42 pm

Looks and sounds like straight gas to me. Seeing that it is a ready mixed fuel you can bet you are not the only victim, I would contact the mfg.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:09 pm

Its not a pre-mix fuel but customer mixed version so any thing can be possible.

The customer insisted it mixed correctly this morning which why asked for him to bring his oil in so I do in house mixes to see what going on here. As Roy mentioned it could just be a dye color that throwing me off.
The two sample test mix colors insert over the customer's fuel where take all from the same image as not to have light level problem. The darker at the bottom of the image is the bottom of the jar.

Still I should not be seeing the damage done to piston and cylinder if mixed properly with a new properly tuned carburetor.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum