• Advertisement

no fire

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

no fire

Postby okie » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:59 pm

Briggs Edger (Had it for 40 years) I took it out of storage this spring and this is what I found.

No fire. Put in new plug-- still no fire.
put plug tester in line--no fire
pull spark plug and grounded to motor-- No fire
put screwdriver in end of plug tester--Plug tester fires
Remove coil and buff all connections--No fire
Test gap to fly wheel .012" OK--still no fire

This the # on the starter housing---60102 0267.01 6710201
Unable to find this no. in my searches .

Thoughts????----I believe I need a new coil, if I can find one

Travis :bricks:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: no fire

Postby bgsengine » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:19 pm

okie wrote:Briggs Edger (Had it for 40 years) I took it out of storage this spring and this is what I found.

No fire. Put in new plug-- still no fire.
put plug tester in line--no fire
pull spark plug and grounded to motor-- No fire
put screwdriver in end of plug tester--Plug tester fires
At this point I would be suspecting coil and points
Remove coil and buff all connections--No fire
Test gap to fly wheel .012" OK--still no fire

This the # on the starter housing---60102 0267.01 6710201

You want 060102-0267-99 First, Briggs online parts catalogs now are based on a 6 digit model number so 5-digit models need a leading zero, and secondly - anything older than around maybe early 1990's date code (yours is a 1967) will have type trim code changed to -99 (Consolidation of parts catalogs - all the old trim is NLA Obsoleted)
Unable to find this no. in my searches .

Thoughts????----I believe I need a new coil, if I can find one
I'd be looking to retro-fit to magnetron ignition and eliminate points. part number 591420

Travis :bricks:
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby JonCraig » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:04 pm

okie wrote:put screwdriver in end of plug tester--Plug tester fires

I'm not understanding what this means… shove a screwdriver inside the spark plug boot alongside the tester? I'm confused.
JonCraig
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:20 am

JonCraig wrote:
okie wrote:put screwdriver in end of plug tester--Plug tester fires

I'm not understanding what this means… shove a screwdriver inside the spark plug boot alongside the tester? I'm confused.

What he has is one those spark gap or neon light testers that he is grounding the end of and he sees a weak spark.

Either Okie has bad points, coil, a flywheel with weak magnets or even possibly the new plug is bad too (that I have seen before). Probably upgrading to the Magnetron ignition coil will fix the problem. Personally I have not seen a flywheel with bad magnets yet but have heard of them.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Walt 2002 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:13 am

40 years old, probable time for new points AND condenser. On engines like that, I prefer original ignition set up unless there is actually catastrophic failure of components. They start better, lower rpm required for strong spark.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002
Forum Regular

Postby okie » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:25 pm

Can someone tell me the gap on the points on this engine? Just want to play around with the points b-4 ordering the magnetron.

Thanks
T
okie
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:29 pm

okie wrote:Can someone tell me the gap on the points on this engine? Just want to play around with the points b-4 ordering the magnetron.

Thanks
T

20 thou (.020")
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby okie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:50 am

Follow up--------

Went to local parts house planning on getting the Magnetron but they didn't have it so I purchased the points and condenser.
Installed parts and the little engine ran---good.

As a side note, I pulled on the starter rope so much, the ratchet broke and had to repair it. Had to remove rear wheel to pull
the housing off. When putting it back on, the little metal cap that holds the wheel on wouldn't work any more. Had to drill hole in axle and use washer and cotter key.

I feel sorry for the people that have to work on old equipment. Not straight forward. :bricks:

Thanks to ALL for the help.

Travis :usa:
okie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:34 am

Okie, You have to re-crimp those caps before re-installing. They are just held on by fiction fit.

Strange that they didn't that Magnatron in stock as they are a quite common version; but who knows, I have only seen a few walk-behind mowers this year maybe they don't sell many.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum