• Advertisement

What would you pay for Honda 3813?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

What would you pay for Honda 3813?

Postby JonCraig » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:02 pm

I've always kind of liked the old school Honda riding mowers. This popped up on Craigslist near me: http://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/5280868019.html

I asked him about the repairs it needs, he said:

The brackets on the deck that hold the levers that make the deck raise and lower are wallowed out. Some one with a home welder could probably fix that fairly easily. There is some kind of leak in the fuel system that causes the mower to shut down. As soon as this started this summer I quit using it. Parts can be found online I'm just not sure what part it is, but I think it would not take much to fix it. This is a garage kept mower. It has twin cylinder ,water cooled engine It s a very nice mower and like a collector item. I will take a reasonable offer.

He's asking $400. That seems a bit much for me around here, especially this time of year. There are lots of regular 'ol MTD mowers for $300-range, all claiming to be working fine. But then again, this is a Honda.

So what would you, the experts, say that this one would be worth?

And (without even seeing the mower yet), I'm thinking fuel shutoff solenoid on the carb has failed. But what about the "wallowed out" brackets? How hard do you think those would be to fix?

Thoughts?
JonCraig
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: What would you pay for Honda 3813?

Postby bgsengine » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:24 pm

Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.. maybe if it came down to $250 I'd consider it.. but would have to actually look it over - that way if it turns out to be a "junker" at least the engine would be able to be sold away to recover the money - you may end up needing a whole new carburetor, or maybe the leak is something much worse (People with a motive to sell something for as much as they can also tend to be rather vague about what's really wrong with something.. it's called "playing Dumb")

but at $250 you could probably , at worst, part it out and gain the money back. I never buy any power equipment any more except 1) Brand New in Box from distributor, or 2) at a price that reflects its scrap value.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:11 am

I second that...I got several mowers that was donated and I haven't sold not one of them after the repairs. Customers here think I should give them away for less than what the parts cost to repair them. I got to where I repair equipment when the customer wants something repair and don't waste my time repairing and try to sell used equipment anymore.

On top that I just got insulted by one customer that offered me $25.00 for a brand new Husqvarna 450 chainsaw with 20" bar and upgraded oil pump that I had sitting on the shelf. He the same customer that wanted me to buy his Poulan chainsaw that had a bad PNC for $50 just after I told him that it wasn't worth repairing. I may look crazy but I not there yet.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:26 am

I would not touch that Honda either, parts for the liquid cooled are hard to get here and what are available are too expensive. I frequently get asked why I don't buy and sell used equipment to supplement my pension. I am retired but that doesn't mean my time is worth nothing
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby JonCraig » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:12 pm

Wow! I looked at some parts and you're right. What's still available costs a fortune. I passed on it. Thanks for the great advice.

--JC
JonCraig
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum