• Advertisement

Replacement engine for Wheel Horse

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Replacement engine for Wheel Horse

Postby dunoon2 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:19 pm

Hi, Started working on neighbors C-175 wheel horse. Tractor is in pretty good shape (no engine), gave me a Kohler KT17 to put in it. Checking engine no spark, so I thought I'd better check over the engine closer before investing in a coil. No compression on one cylinder, pulled head piston not moving. Told him it's FUBAR. Does anyone have suggestion what engine I could replace the KT17 with that requires the least amount of reconfiguring to make it fit. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Rich Davis
3-M's
Mobile Mower Maintance Service
dunoon2
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Replacement engine for Wheel Horse

Postby bgsengine » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:15 pm

Just about anything with a 1-1/8" PTO end crankshaft and BALL BEARING PTO side, that does not sit too high. They will be quite hard to find, I believe - Although if you can find a N.O.S. adapter from Wheel Horse for the crankshaft you can fit up a 1" crank ball bearing engine. (They're often found on the Briggs equipped C-Series such as a C-111) Those 3 items are most important when finding a replacement engine - the 1-1/8" crank for the PTO Race for the tractor, the BALL BEARING support (They have a high load on those cranks - both towards the side/rear and pushing in towards the flywheel (PTO Clutch) )
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum